:)
Lv 5
:) asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

what is the signifiance of laylat- al Qadr?

It is the night on which the Qur’aan was sent down, as we have stated above. Ibn ‘Abbaas and others said: “Allaah sent down the Qur’aan at one time from al-Lawh al-Mahfooz to Bayt al-‘Izzah in the first heaven, then it was revealed to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in stages according to events over twenty-three years.” (Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 4/529)

Allaah described it as being better than a thousand months, as He said (interpretation of the meaning): “The night of al-Qadr is better than a thousand months” [al-Qadr 97:3].

Allaah described it as being blessed, as He said (interpretation of the meaning): “We sent it (this Qur’aan) down on a blessed night” [al-Dukhaan 44:3].

On this night, the angels and the Spirit [al-Rooh] descend, “i.e., many angels descend of this night because it is so blessed, and the angels come down when Allaah’s blessing and mercy come down, just as they come down when Qur’aan is recited, and they surround the circles of dhikr (gatherings where Allaah is remembered), and they beat their wings for the one who sincerely seeks knowledge, out of respect for him.” (See Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 4/531). The Spirit [al-Rooh] is Jibreel (peace be upon him), who is specifically mentioned in this manner as a sign of respect for him.

This night is described as peace, i.e., it is safe, for the Shaytaan cannot do any evil or cause any harm on this night, as Mujaahid said. (See Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 4/531). On this night, many people are saved from punishment because of what they do to worship Allaah, may He be glorified.

“Therein (that night) is decreed every matter of ordainments” [al-Dukhaan 44:4 – interpretation of the meaning], i.e., the affairs of that year are dispatched from al-Lawh al-Mahfooz to the angels who record the decrees: who will live, who will die, what provision people will be given, what will happen until the end of that year, every matter of ordainments is decreed, and it cannot be altered or changed. (See Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 4/137, 138). All of this is already known to Allaah before it is even written down, but He makes known to the angels what is to happen, and commands them to do whatever they are enjoined to do. (Sharh Saheeh Muslim li’l-Nawawi, 8/57).

Allaah forgives the previous sins of the one who stays up and prays during this night out of faith and in hope of earning the reward from Him. It was reported in the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever fasts the month of Ramadaan out of faith and in the hope of earning reward, all his previous sins will be forgiven, and whoever stays up during Laylat al-Qadr out of faith and in the hope of earning reward, all his previous sins will be forgiven.” (Agreed upon). The phrase “out of faith and in the hope of earning reward” means, believing in Allaah’s promise of reward for this, and seeking the reward, with no other aim or purpose, such as showing off etc.” (Fath al-Baari, 4/251).

Allaah has revealed a soorah concerning this night which will be recited until the Day of Resurrection, in which He mentions the honour and great value of this night. This is the soorah in which He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, We have sent it (this Qur’aan) down in the Night of Al-Qadr (Decree).

And what will make you know what the Night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is?

The Night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is better than a thousand months (i.e. worshipping Allaah in that night is better than worshipping Him a thousand months, i.e. 83 years and 4 months).

Therein descend the angels and the Rooh [Jibreel] by Allaah’s Permission with all Decrees,

(All that night), there is peace (and goodness from Allaah to His believing slaves) until the appearance of dawn.” [al-Qadr 97:1-5]

The phrase And what will make you know what the Night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is? serves to draw attention to the importance and great significance of this night.

Update:

@one family under god- i did not say it was tonight i just wanted to advise people on the day.

Update 2:

@also read my other questions i posted i never said it was tonight.

masalama

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

The opportunity of Laylatul Qadr is coming in the next few days. Life is about that take advantage of their opportunities to win the nearness & love of Allah, and this is indeed one of those chances. The sincere believer who worries day and night about his sins and phases of neglect in his life patiently awaits the onset of Ramadan. During it he hopes to be forgiven by Allah for past sins, knowing that the Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi wa sallam promised that all who bear down during the last ten days shall have all their sins forgiven. It is well known that Prophet Muhammad Sallallahu Alayhi wa Salama advised Muslims to search “Lailatuhul Qadr” in the odd numbered nights, in the last ten days of Ramadan.To achieve this, the believer remembers the Prophet’s Sallallahu Alayhi wa sallam advice in different sayings wherein he used words like “seek”, “pursue”, “search” and “look hard” for Laylatul Qadr. In this night of power, the Holy Quran was sent down from LOH-E-MEHFOOZ (the Preserved Tablet) to the earth.

Laylatul Qadr is the most blessed night. A person who misses it has indeed missed a great amount of good. The Mu’min should search for it in the last ten nights of Ramadan, passing the nights in worship and obedience.

For those who catch the opportunity, their gift is that of past sins wiped away.

At a more deeper level - the Night of Qadr is a mystery that no-one can really fathom. It is shrouded in mystery and represents the Batin as opposed to the Zahir. The Surah is believed tohave been revealed at the time of birth of the Beloved's daighter, Fatima tul Zehra (Fatima the Radiant, Fatima the Brightest Star, Fatima-Star of Venus, Fatima-The Evening Star).

She embodies and represents the unknown or the hidden. Indeed, the fact that the verses state that one night is better than thousand months represents the potency of the Batin over the Zahir, the Feminine over the Masculine.

...and people think Islam is misogynistic!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Salam

its an offering worth aprox 83 years as you stated in mercy. One prays 1 night out of all his life its like he was forgiven his entire life, if they did that for the sake of Allah SWT alone.

Infinite mercy and blessing and a gateway to seeking the blessings and mercy of Allah all in one night.

For me I don't find many participate in this night and it is not fard but it should be. InshAllah amin the ummah understands the night is not one night its every odd numbered night started with last 10 days of Ramadan.. so its not just one night and because of constant bickering around the prophet. we lost the day. So we have to search for it.

Anyone telling you just tonight is that day, is wrong and has not consulted in the hadith and ulima statements regarding this night, as its a string of nights in the last 10 days.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.