What do you believe is the meaning of Ethics?

Ethics is define in many ways:

ethical - of or relating to the philosophical study of ethics; "ethical codes"; "ethical theories"

ethical motive: motivation based on ideas of right and wrong

the philosophical study of moral values and rules

Ethics is a branch of philosophy which seeks to address questions about morality, such as what the fundamental semantic, ontological, and epistemic nature of ethics or morality is (meta-ethics), how moral values should be determined (normative ethics), how a moral outcome can be achieved in ...

but what do you think it means for you as the individual?

Where do you develop your moral compass from?

What influences you decisions on what is right and what is wrong?

Favorite Answer

I think most people get their ideas of person ethics through cultural influences upon them as well as observing the cause and effect of different behaviors.

For example our parents and teachers might tell us stealing is bad, and we may also see the negative effects of having something stolen from us or someone we know. We therefore come to the ethical decision that stealing is bad.

To me, there is no definite "rulebook" of Ethics, I derive my sense of right and wrong solely from my own views of the world and humans. And my ethics can change from one day to another, and from one situation to the other.

I think that our society does abide by an unwritten rulebook though, what everyone else thinks is right and wrong. This can been seen from famous psychologist Kholburg's experiment on moral capacity, if you wanna google that. For example, John Smith sees a homeless man, and wants to stop and give him a few dollars. But, his wife is also in the car, and thinks that is embarrasing, and that he should "get a job and stop bumming off society!" So against his own personal ethics, John passes the homeless man by.

Source(s): What makes a sane man mad, makes a mad man sane.

Hey

I think I read somewhere that the definition of ethics is the science of morality

I feel its the values and principles we make everyday decisions by

Honesty, Caring for others, Duty, Love, Not to harm, Greater good, Intentions.

Its something personal to each of us, we all have morality within us, somewhere, and we usually know when we have done something wrong.

The starry heavens above me, and the moral law within me - Kant

Dealing fairly and honestly with others. Keeping your word.