RonJon
Lv 4
RonJon asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Where are the provisions for illegal aliens in the Health Care Bill?

After I read the explosion that happened last night, I did a little research. From what I can tell, Obama was not lying when he said, "Now, there are also those who claim that our reform efforts would insure illegal immigrants. This, too, is false. The reforms -- the reforms I'm proposing would not apply to those who are here illegally."-CNN.

According to Title II, Subtitle C, Section 246 the bill reads, "Nothing in this subtitle shall allow Federal payments for affordability credits on behalf of individuals who are not lawfully present in the United States."

This subtitle refers to affordability credits as outlined in the bill. From what I can understand affordability credits are the medium through which the health care will be paid for.

Some might say that illegal immigrants could just get papers when they cross the boarder, and then get health-care; however, this is will deal with enforcement of the law, not the law itself.

Now to the question. I've heard that there are provisions for illegal aliens in this bill. I was unable to find them, and wondered if someone might be able help me by telling me where they are.

Thanks in advance

Update:

Yes, amnesty is an option, but wouldn't that affect MUCH more than just health-care? Also, there is no talk of amnesty in this bill. That is a separate issue.

Update 2:

Wow....alot of great answers to my question. I really think that article in CNN libertar was very interesting.

Update 3:

If I just take the presidents statement, It seems as thought it actually does "apply" to them since they are not citizens of the US, and that is a provision in the bill. Thanks for the help everyone.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

You didn't read the entire CNN article, which was entitled "Health care bill has curious coverage for illegal immigrants" http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/27/health.care...

It shows how, once again, Congress says one thing in a bill, but knowingly creates a loophole so that illegal aliens DO get health care coverage.

That's lawyers for you.

I'd suggest you read the article in it's entirety rather than the little blurb that was taken out of context and put on someone's blog.

(CNN) -- Immigrants living illegally in the United States could be mandated to have health insurance under the proposed health care reform bill but would be ineligible to receive subsidies to afford such coverage, a report from the Congressional Research Service says.

Rep. Xavier Becerra, D-California, rejected a citizenship verification system, calling rules it called for "unworkable."

Rep. Xavier Becerra, D-California, rejected a citizenship verification system, calling rules it called for "unworkable."

The report, prepared by the nonpartisan policy research arm of Congress, provides a close reading of the treatment of noncitizens in the House bill on health care reform, HR 3200.

While the report found that federal subsidies to obtain health coverage would be restricted to U.S. citizens and legal residents, it also noted that the bill does not specify a citizenship verification system, something that critics say creates a loophole for undocumented immigrants to receive subsidies anyway.

The report, released Tuesday, "undermines the claims of the president and others that illegal immigrants would not be covered under the House version of the bill," Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Washington-based Center for Immigration Studies, told CNN.

The bill specifically bars illegal immigrants from receiving payments, but opponents of the reform say that without verification, the system is open to abuse.

Rep. Dean Heller, R-Nevada, last month proposed an amendment in the House Ways and Means Committee to add a verification process. Democrats on that committee, including Rep. Xavier Becerra of California, voted it down because the rules it called for would be "unworkable," the Democrat said.

"I think the report substantiates the exact opposite of what these critics say," Becerra told CNN.

Because they don't qualify for federal money, undocumented immigrants who want health insurance would pay full freight for coverage, he said.

According to the Center for Immigration Studies, in 2007, 33.2 percent of all immigrants, legal and undocumented, did not have health insurance, compared with 12.7 percent of native-born Americans.

But with passage of the health care bill far from certain in its current form, it is too early to know how undocumented immigrants could be affected by the bill, Tamar Jacoby, president of ImmigrationWorks USA, told CNN.

"I'm pretty skeptical that illegal immigrants will come out of this legislative battle" with any new benefits, she said.

The scrutiny of this part of the bill "points to the need to fix the [immigration] system," Jacoby said.

Estimates put the number of immigrants living illegally in the United States at 10 million to 12 million, many of whom already receive treatment in emergency rooms.

The proposed reform requires that individuals carry health insurance, and the language in the current bill may obligate undocumented immigrants to get health insurance, too, the Congressional Research Service report concluded.

It boils down to terminology. Those living in the country illegally are classified as such under immigration law, but the bill uses tax law terms that identify foreigners as either resident or nonresident aliens.

Nonresident aliens would be exempt from the required coverage, but undocumented immigrants who live in the United States for a certain amount of time during the year would be classified as residents. "Thus, it would appear that unauthorized aliens who meet the substantial presence test would be required under HR 3200 to have health insurance," the report says.

It was less clear, however, how the mandate would be enforced for people, immigrants or not, who do not file federal income taxes.

Another part of the bill would create a health insurance exchange, where consumers could choose among insurance plans or a government-run plan. That section of the bill does not set restrictions on participants' immigration status, the report says.

• 1 decade ago

There are no provisions in this bill that include illegals, however when illegals come to this country they purchase documents that allow them to get a drivers license, work, apply for government assistance, apply and get medicare/medicaid, etc. The biggest fallacy about illegals is that they all work off the books. Most do not.

So, if they are able to apply and receive other forms of government assistance, why would anyone think they will not be able to do the same with other government programs?

Here is a report from the CBO outlining what illegals cost American taxpayers.

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/87xx/doc8711/12-6-Immig...

• Di
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

In order to prove entitlement to programmes in the US, citizens are required to have a valid social security number.

Many doubt the veracity of the assertions by the Obama administration for the bill because it may contain a loophole that may not address the type of documentation required to be produced in order to get medical coverage. If the bill does not have specificity then surely undocumented workers may be able to obtain health insurance, therefore one cannot declare categorically that illegal immigrants would not be insured. I believe we have to look at not what is being said but, what is NOT being said.

The Obama administration''s hugely successful "cash for clunkers" programme allowed people to buy cars using taxpayer money but wait, use of a valid social security number was not required. Does that mean undocumented aliens were able to buy cars under this program?

Acorn, known to be pro Obama, was responsible for a highly successful voter registration program - a good thing. What isn't good is many voted but, they weren't required to prove they were eligible to vote and many may not have been legally eligible to vote.

It is proving the eligibility that makes me wonder - that and the fact that we are discussing what the federal government would pay for - not what the federal government will make the individual states pay for.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Section 246 does state this. However, Section 1702 restricts Medicaid (which is what they would initially be covered under in the emergency room) from inquiring as to their status. They could then have access to non-emergency care, and we end up paying the bill.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There is no provision in the bill for any process to check the residency status of people who apply for the program. You need to identify a process to check on this status, or else it is simply a meaningless phrase.

When Republican congressmen tried to add language to indicate a process to check on the residency status, the Democrats blocked it.

Simply saying they can't doesn't mean anything. A bar can post a sign saying nobody under 21 will be served, but if they don't check IDs, guess what..?

• You research sucks as usual with the Dems its in the form of a loop hole...here my proof...know you must read here folks...

CNN) -- Immigrants living illegally in the United States could be mandated to have health insurance under the proposed health care reform bill but would be ineligible to receive subsidies to afford such coverage, a report from the Congressional Research Service says.

The report, prepared by the nonpartisan policy research arm of Congress, provides a close reading of the treatment of noncitizens in the House bill on health care reform, HR 3200.

While the report found that federal subsidies to obtain health coverage would be restricted to U.S. citizens and legal residents, it also noted that the bill does not specify a citizenship verification system, something that critics say creates a loophole for undocumented immigrants to receive subsidies anyway.

The report, released Tuesday, "undermines the claims of the president and others that illegal immigrants would not be covered under the House version of the bill," Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Washington-based Center for Immigration Studies, told CNN.

The bill specifically bars illegal immigrants from receiving payments, but opponents of the reform say that without verification, the system is open to abuse.

Rep. Dean Heller, R-Nevada, last month proposed an amendment in the House Ways and Means Committee to add a verification process. Democrats on that committee, including Rep. Xavier Becerra of California, voted it down because the rules it called for would be "unworkable," the Democrat said.

"I think the report substantiates the exact opposite of what these critics say," Becerra told CNN.

• 1 decade ago

The bill does not provide for health care providers to ask patients about their status in the US. Therefore, illegals will be able to be treated for free (aka - with our tax money). End of argument.

• justa
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Its in Republican heads, and if you try to talk sense to them and actually show them what it says, they will tell you he changed it.

Its hopeless to try and be reasonable with crazy people, if they were sane and could respond to fact they wouldn't be crazy.

The coverage for illegals to go to the ER is a Republican program. No one can be refused ER care, but thats not to say its free. They have to pay for it. Just the same as anyone.

They can be sued, with the usual consequences.

The reforms he is proposing will not cover illegals. Whats there for them will not change, but he isn't proposing to change that part of law.

As to amenesty for illegals, its not up to Obama, its up to Congress, and I don't see them looking on this as a real problem now when they didn't before.

• 1 decade ago

Whose to say he won't grant amnesty?

Either way, it's a problem. If we continue to provide welfare for people who are in the US illegally, they have incentive to continue coming.

If we don't provide them health care, they'll continue to drain the health care system by using the ER for routine medical problems.

Either way, a large percentage of the 47 million uninsured (illegal immigrants and their children) are not included in the solution.

• alana
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

they are coverd under the emergency plan under medicaid and seems that will continue after the new plan is introduced unless there are some changes made.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.