Price of wine in Thailand?

Tax on wine makes its purchase prohibitive in Thailand. The cost of serious plonk is more than a litre of JW Red label. That can't be right ??

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yeah, it's right. Wine is luxury taxed in Thailand, making good bottles of wine at least as much as JW Red, or Black for that matter. There are plenty of drinkable wines available for less than JW Red though. Aussie wines are taxed about 25% less than wines from other countries, so are better value. Wines from countries other than Australia have a combined tax of just under 400%!

Drink hard liquor or beer in Thailand if you want bang for your buck.

• 1 decade ago

There are a few Thai wines that are quite good, just as good as some of the highly rated Australian wines. PB Valley Syrah, for example, from the Khao Yai wine region. Cheaper than the imports, but still a little pricey.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

So do what the Thais do: drink JW Red Label with lots of soda water.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Unfortunately yes! Real good quality is very expensive and for a european living here which loves a good glass of wine it's quite hard.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Why don't you buy them in duty fee shop, so cheap! Anyways, normal JW Red Label here isn't expensive.

Source(s): Me; I'm a travel agent based in Bangkok
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

anything imported will be taxed very high

anything made in thailand will be cheap quality

up to you

• 1 decade ago

it's expensive and alternative thai brands are hideous....and expensive.Make your own,I do.....it's still hideous,but cheap,and after a couple of glasses of Lao Khao you're unlikely to have any surviving taste buds anyway

• 1 decade ago

Sato Rice wine is pretty cheap. "Siam Sato", "Ruan Rak", "Gru Pli"

Or make it yourself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_brew_sato_kits

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, that is how it is.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.