Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Is peanut butter bad for dogs?

ok so i noticed that they make peanut butter dog cookies or there are homemade recipes for dog cookies that contain peanut butter. but since sodium is bad for dogs and peanut butter has 150 mg of sodium would it be bad for them, or is it safe in moderation? .....also anyone know any good dog cookie recipes ?

Update:

Thanks, to all of you who don't know were i heard that salt was bad for dogs .......http://www.vetinfo.com/dtoxin.html

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Peanut butter is very safe for dogs in MODERATION. I routinely use peanut butter when I have to give my dogs a pill. It sticks to the roof of their mouth and they can't spit out the pill.

And, of course, they LOVE it!

• 4 years ago

There are all types of peanut butter flavored treats for dogs, including peanut butter filled bones. Also, when we give our dog her medicine twice daily, we give it to her by sticking it on a dog biscuit with peanut butter. She's taken it that way for about 3 years with no ill effects.

• 1 decade ago

Peanut butter is great for dogs in moderation. My dogs love peanut butter. And here is a good website for dog treats:

http://www.robinsfyi.com/holidays/christmas/recipe...

• daa
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

You're right that the salt, sugar, and other additives in most peanut butters isn't very good for dogs (people either). I use natural, unsalted peanut butter (e.g. just ground peanuts). My dog loves it stuffed into her Kong.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Not unless the dog is allergic to peanut butter.

• 1 decade ago

I buy no sugar or salt added peanut butter for my dog. She loves it. I don't give her a lot as it is still fattening.

• 1 decade ago

lol no, i dont know where your hearing that sodium is bad for dogs...maybe sodium in different forms, but peanut butter is not bad for dogs, otherwise why do they make PB treats for them??

• 1 decade ago

we often give our chihuahuas peanut butter as a treat, maybe twice a week. Good for them, YES!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A treat a couple times a week is plenty. Or if you have to mask a pill in that, that's fine, too. That means biscuits, and everything else used for treats. I don't like the idea of dogs getting treats daily.

• 1 decade ago

I never heard sodium is bad for dogs. too much sodium is bad for any living being.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.