Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Just me. asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

How is a Nurse Practitioner addressed? "Dr"?

If a NP has opened their own practice/clinic, would they be addressed as a doctor since they can write prescriptions and almost everything a doctor can? Such as... Dr. Karen Magee? (even though she is a nurse practitioner) How would one be addressed?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

if the nurse practitioner has a doctoral degree (PhD, DNP, EdD), then yes you can call her doctor. doctor is an academic achievement. it has nothing to do with job title or job description.

think of it like this...there are doctors of literature. they are also addressed "doctor."

physician is the correct term to use when referring to an MD. calling them physician (which is a job title) instead of "doctor "helps clear up colloquial confusion.

really good question!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That's a very interesting point you make. I've been seeing a Nurse Practitioner for over 10 years. After about 7 to 8 years, I was in her office for something that had become very frustrating for me. I felt comfortable with her, and as I started to ask her a question about changing my medication, it just slipped out. I said, "Linda, could we...

can I call you Linda?"

I don't think an NP should be addressed as Dr but your other options would simply be to not address him/her at all, or if you've been going to that person for awhile, ask them if you can call them by their first name. I hope that helps.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

If the Nurse Practitioner had a doctorate in something, which is not common, you could refer to them as doctor. However, I would recommend against it in the clinical context, as it would likely give patients the impression that the NP was a medical doctor. This could be confusing and embarassing

• 1 decade ago

Even tho they're just a P.A doesn't mean that they're not qualified to diagnose patients or write prescriptions. Im most of my experiences I prefer to see the P.A because ive found that they are usually more caring, sympathetic, and devoted because they aren't overstressed withs tons of patients like a M.D is. So yes i always address them as Dr unless they say otherwise.

Source(s): Its really a matter of respect and you should have respect for someone who is trying to improve your quality of life
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, as you know they really aren't a doctor and most Dr.s feel this title should be reserved for themselves. Although very often a Nurse Practitioner is called "doctor"...or by first name. Same applies to PA's..Physician Assistants

I would ask mine what they prefer. I use to see one and she just had me address her by her first name. She was fine with that.

same applies to my cousin who is a Nurse Practioner..she has her patients call her by her first name.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Since they aren't technically doctors, they are not addressed as doctors. I have seen physician assistants and my wife and I have been to a nurse-midwife, and they asked to be addressed simply by their first names. It can be awkward, but it works.

Source(s): Experience
  • 1 decade ago

Not necessarily...an NP is not necessarily someone who has their DNP...most have a master's degree...even if he/she did have their DNP, I would most likely call them by their first name or as they prefer. ...and they have limited prescriptive abilities...

...Myself, I have a doctorate of physical therapy, but use my first name with salutations...and never call myself "doctor"

Source(s): I am a PT, DPT
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.