Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

can being exposed to mold cause schizophrenia?

there was mold in my bedroom near my bed. i think i was exposed to the mold for a week or 2...i accidentally spilled a ton of water in my room a while back. i dried it up with a towel as best as i could but it was still really damp. i thought it was ok to just leave it damp, that it would just dry up on its own, but 6 days ago i found mold where i spilled the water, and now i am having symptoms of schizophrenia. i don't know if im just being paranoid or what. can being exposed to mold cause schizophrenia? thanks :)

Favorite Answer

Experts now agree that schizophrenia develops as a result of interplay between biological predisposition (for example, inheriting certain genes) and the kind of environment a person is exposed to. These lines of research are converging: brain development disruption is now known to be the result of genetic predisposition and environmental stressors early in development (during pregnancy or early childhood), leading to subtle alterations in the brain that make a person susceptible to developing schizophrenia. Environmental factors later in life (during early childhood and adolescence) can either damage the brain further and thereby increase the risk of schizophrenia, or lessen the expression of genetic or neurodevelopmental defects and decrease the risk of schizophrenia. In fact experts now say that schizophrenia (and all other mental illness) is caused by a combination of biological, psychological and social factors, and this understanding of mental illness is called the bio-psycho-social model.

If schizophrenia was caused by something as simple as mold then it would not be the dire problem it is. In fact, schizophrenia has no directly found cause--but it has nothing to do with mold or virus' or the like. You are probably just being paranoid from hearing stories on tv about mold. However, you might want to look up what kind of mold it is to make sure it is not harmful to you. And get rid of it as soon as possible.

Mould is poisonous. U ought to get out of the residence whilst ur landlord fixes the difficulty. He demands to absolutely cast off the mold and exchange the carpet. He is negligent to allow it get to the factor in which the ground rotted! If he does not anything, record him to condo tenancy authority and begin watching for yet another plaace to are living.. u will have to no longer be charged hire whilst the upkeep r being performed both

I think you're just being paranoid, must be something else. So, don't worry! Known causes for Schizoprenia are: Abuse of DA Drugs, Social Stress/Isolation, Or you could get it genticly. I highly doubt mold could be a cause. If you're worried though, or if it gets worse, consault a doctor. =) You're welcome.

no schizophrenia is def' not caused by mold.

Source(s): my fiance has paranoid schizophrenia so i have info' on causes/symptoms of schiz' is you want it

Half of me says "yes", but then the other half says "shut up or I'll slit your throat"