crystal asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Light affecting fishtank?

I have a 45 gallon fish tank that has been established for one year,it contains 1 channel cat,1 african cat(both app.10 inches long) and 1 small pleco.We had done everything to clear the tank of cloudiness(water changes,frequent cleaning of gravel,even those clearing drops you can buy) and nothing worked.Then a friend told me to turn the light off for a few days and to my suprise I've had a clear and beautiful TANK EVER SINCE.iNSTEAD OF PUTTING THE LIGHT ON IN THE MORNING WHEN i GET UP AND LEAVING IT ON ALL DAY,i PUT IT ON AT DUSK,WHEN IT GETS DARK IN THE EVENING AND LEAVE IT ON ONLY A FEW HOURS EACH NIGHT UNTIL WE GO TO BED.(Sorry about caps)

Does anyone know why this is,I mean,how can the light being on too often cause a tank to be cloudy.

I am very curious.

Thanks so much!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

green algae is a plant that lives like any other plant… off water, light, and fertilizer. All three of these are present in your tank. There is a bilogical process in your tank called the nitrogen cycle. Waste in your tank in broken down by bacteria into a nitrite, a nitrogen based substance that is harmless in low doses. Nitrate is plant food and when you mix it with light and water algae will grow. Too much plant food and light and you will get a lot of algae. If you perform regular (and relativly FREE) water changes to keep your nitrate levels in check and make sure that your tank is not in direct sunlight you will have minimal algae regardless of any algae eating pets in your tank. A little elbow greese and some water changes and you simply won’t have an algae problem. If you already do, start with weekly 30% water changes using a gravel siphon and scrub algae spots that you see. Over time the algae problem will reduce without the use of algacide chemicals

• 1 decade ago

green cloudy water caused by a bloom of algae. Algae - as any other plant need light and nutrients. In aquarium plentiful for algae nutrients provided by uneaten food and fish waste products. If you provide a lot of light either by placing tank on direct sunlight or keeping lights on for long time algae will bloom. If you do not have live plants I would strongly recomment keep light on only for short time, for decorative purposes. Your fish all bottom dwellers, for them ambient light of normal living room is too much light. Pleco is nocturnal fish - he is active when dark.

PS: Just a side note. It is entirely possible to 'overclean" the tank. Too clean is bad. By actively cleaning gravel you decimate bacteria population which helps you to deal with ammonia. By changing too much water too often you change water parameters too rapidly besides you may cause your tank to "cycle" again. It is good to be a bit lazy when maintaining a healthy fishtank.

• 1 decade ago

If the cloudiness is green, then its algae as mentioned above. If it is a whitish cloudiness, then it is a bacterial bloom. You have a rather high biological load in your tank, so it could be bacteria-especially if you over clean your tank. Killing the lights will fix this temporarily, but its possible that it may come back. You need to improve your biological filter, or drastically reduce the load in your tank.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The light allows for algae and other parasites to grow. If the light is on too long, there will be lots of algae growing, making your tank cloudy.

Also, about your fish choice... both of your catfish grow to be 2-3ft, therefore the size of your tank is too small. Pleco's grow to be about the same size, therefore they need tanks of 75g and larger to grow properly. If your fish are housed in that tank for too long, they will stop growing on the outside and everything will seem fine, but their organs will keep growing, causing them to die a long, painful death. I suggest you do something about this as they already seem too big for your tank.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Cyanobacteria (and many others) blooms best in high light situations.

• 1 decade ago

Its the aliens doing that

Source(s): Alienologist
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

awsome you have catfish?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.