If I go to court with a baby bump, will the judge have more sympathy?

Just curious. I got a summary offense citation that is total b.s. and would most likely be thrown out of court if I have a lawyer. The thing is, I am stone-cold broke, no job except parttime menial work ever since my last layoff, and I was told public defenders dont do summary offenses, only the bigger stuff. Could the judge seeing me in court sporting a baby bump go in my favor?

I should prolly mention -- the "b.s." citation I got was "disorderly conduct" for crying and whining to a friend after I got robbed. My friend and I called park security after being robbed, so they were already on the scene and didnt do anything bout the robbery but instead cited me. They were prolly annoyed to hear me crying and blubbering on and on as the crime victim. But hey pregnant girls are prone to hormonal spikes and mood swings that can cause that kinda behavior...so if the judge sees me pregnant amongst the other b.s. of this case, do you think that will help me? Or hurt me? Or not affect it either way?

correction - it wasnt park security who gave me a citation, since they werent real cops. But theyre the ones who called the cops and told them to cite me. Oh and the "best" part is, when the cop came they told him to give me a citation, but didnt even bother to submit the grant theft incident report for the >$500 theft I was victim to.

FYI, at least in the state of Pennsylvania public defenders and legal aid do NOT cover summary offenses like this one. Public defenders only cover felonies + misdemeanors, legal aid only covers civil cases. So I'm left out and I'm SCREWED.

Also - I have no problem with the cop who handed me the citation, all he did was carry out orders from the park security staff and hand me a piece of paper. It's the park security staff (i.e., not cops) who treated me badly. The cop didn't even see/hear anything happen, just took the word of the security staff. Oh should I mention that when security called the cop, they told him to cite me but didn't even bother to notify the cop about the grand theft incident???

DrSoapMo: you gave great advice. However, I cannot HONESTLY tell the judge that "I've never experienced a theft before". Unfortunately I'm the type that is the world's "kick around toy" and always seems to have bad stuff happen to me beyond my control(e.g., 5 untimely family/friend deaths in 1yr)...and this isn't my first theft. I've submitted at least 2 other theft reports to the police in the past 3yrs, so I don't want to lie and say it's my first theft when I filed a theft report in the same city 2yrs earlier. However, I can honestly say that each and every new theft occuring to me has made me progressively more jaded, bitter, and angry as a person about it, so that might explain psychologically why I was so distraught and shooken up that day.

Best Answer

Probably not. Judges see LOTS of people.....................

If you have a court hearing, you need to get an attorney. The few bucks you are trying to save yourself now, will only cost you more later.

THE best way to find a lawyer is by word of mouth. Ask your: family, friends, coworkers, anyone you might know in the same situation, etc.

OR

Call your local (usually county) bar association. Ask for names of attorneys that handle your type of matter. (If money is a BIG problem, you could also ask for the phone number of your local LegalAid office. - the attorneys at LegalAid are "real" attorneys, but sometimes in the field of Law, how much you are willing to pay does affect the quality you get.)

When you call the law office(s), insist on speaking with the Lawyer. Just tell the Secretary the main idea of your matter - do not tell all the little details of your matter to the Secretary - save the details for the Attorney. When you get the Lawyer on the phone line, ask him/her:

- Do they give FREE, initial consultations? (most do, but not all - you have to ask, don't assume)

- How much do they charge?

- Could you make payments on your account?

-Can they help you? OR Refer you to someone who can help you?

Good luck.

(This is based on my knowledge, information, belief, and life experiences. This was intended as personal opinion, and not intended to be used as legal advice. Seeking advice over the Internet is not a good idea - the field of Law is too complex for that. Please be careful and do your research.)

Source(s): life

I think you're gonna be just fine. Just don't cry and whine to the judge. The bump is not going to be what helps. I've been to court pregnant before and it had nothing to do with me being pregnant either. You can't use that as a crutch, but I did "win" so to speak because I kept it real in front of that judge.

Tell him plainly you were very upset, and your pregnancy hormones were not helping. If you can keep it calm in front of that judge, I gurantee he'll probably throw it out. The trick is, you gotta point out how the officers may see a hundred cases a day of robberies, but you have never experienced one before now and you thought it was an officer's duty to be a public servant and somewhat understanding of circumstances. Tell the judge you felt the park security handled it wrongly, and the cop who cited you should have been more understanding.

Take responsibility for your behavior, you were upset that is that. You were just victimized and that is upsetting. This alone will give you more credence than trying to play on the sympathies of the court. They aren't stupid so don't treat them that way and you'll be okay.

You may ask for a public defender.

Good Luck.

so you're going to stuff a pillow under your dress to look pitiful? what happens when the pillow falls on the floor?

Just tell the judge the truth: that's all that he/she wants. Putting things in context will help you more than anything.

Source(s): husband is a judicial officer
  • hooser

Oh if any one judges you approximately this. They have got to now not have youngsters. My daughter has bumped her head lots of instances. I talked to my surgeon approximately matters like this he stated that whether it is unhealthy ample to wherein you consider she has a concussion then ensure she remains up for a hour after it occurred. If she is in need of to go to sleep or seem like she will go out get her to the medical institution. But if she does have a concussion and does fall asleep then she will cross into acoma. But Im definite she might be nice. Just ensure she remains up for a hour after it occurred. My daughter scares me while she bangs her head on whatever given that she will get truly clumsy while she is worn out so while you preserve her to remedy her she's going to check out to fall asleep given that she is worn out and competent for mattress. Now Im used to it but if she first did it I used to be freaking out and might preserve waking her as much as see if she might get up. This used to be after the hour had handed. But dont permit any one pass judgement on you given that those matters occur. You can also be round your youngster all day lengthy. She remains to be going to fall and bump her head on matters. It is solely the enjoyment of being a child and being used to making use of your toes. LOL. But well success.. I desire the whole lot is going okay.

Your pregnancy should have no effect on judicial decisions. In fact, depending on the judge, a pregnancy out of wedlock might suggest to him that you tend to behave irresponsibly.

Sorry about the robbery. Luckily, things are just things.

• wizjp

uh...I watched a judge this morning throw the book at a woman who was something like 49 months pregnant with some species of huge water creature.

His logic was she needed to learn a lesson and fast.

Don't hold your breath.

Well I would kind of milk it but not too much. It depends on what kind of people your dealing with.

Umm.. a baby will cost a lot more than a $500 fine.

i'd say they would, especially if they hear the full story.