N/a asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

What knife sharpener?

What knife sharpener for a kabar USMC knife? It can be a stone or any system that will work well. Please name a place i can buy it online!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Visor
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In general any normal knife sharpener will work for Kabar. It's a pretty common steel, not too hard too.

Depends more on your budget and skill I guess.

Sharpening systems are devices that hold the consistent angle for you and you either move the stone or the knife.

The best system I have had and used so far was Edge Pro Apex. It's a little pricey, but very easy to use, super fast and very versatile.

Spyderco sharpmaker is also a system, but unlike edge pro, you have to hold the correct angle yourself, which pretty much boils down to holding your knife straight. As simple as it sounds, it becomes a problem for many people.

Another problem with Spyderco sharpmaker is that the 2 sets of sharpening stones that come with it are too fine for any serious sharpening. As GrizzlyMint said, for dull knives it's not really good, so to make that system work you will need extra Diamond rods for it, which cost pretty much the same as the whole system.

Mini reviews of both here - http://www.zknives.com/knives/sharpening/systems.s...

If you want to try freehand sharpening, it's more complicated in the beginning, but later you'll probably drop using any systems.

For starters by the way, the easiest is to use sandpaper on the mousepad. This is a variation of the freehand sharpening, but it's much more forgiving compared to stones and very cheap at that.

Here's the detailed explanation and a few hints on how to keep consistent angle - http://www.zknives.com/knives/articles/sandpapermo...

I've sharpener pretty much all types of knives using that method, including ceramics.

http://www.zknives.com/knives/sharpening/index.sht...

Source(s): 12+ years of knife collecting, sharpening and research.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • loux
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

looking the final knife sharpener can take a little time and study, yet once you do it wisely, no longer basically will you get a sharpener that keeps your blades razor sharp, yet you basically could finally end up saving the two time and money interior the long-term. it may look obtrusive that a knife that’s used to decrease will finally grow to be boring, besides the shown fact that it’s no longer so easy because it variety of feels. the effortless of the steel concerns in utilization, yet even the final knife will finally instruct signs and indications of positioned on and tear.

• 1 decade ago

DMT diamond stones work great for me.... followed up with a nice leather strop and rouge. If you can shave with it then it's good enough for my purposes.

Before honing on stones or whatever you choose a grinder will give you the nice, hollow ground effect that's desirable on almost any edge.

Truthfully.... sharpening success relies 95% on the human and 5% on the equipment. If you're good you can use a rock... if you don't know what you're doing the most expensive gear in the world won't produce good results.

Sharpening is more a learning experience than a shopping trip... much more.

There's the facts... you can Google the rest yourself.

Source(s): Years of experience
  • 5 years ago

A knife sharpener can be called as any tools which might be made of ceramic or steel which helps in sharpening the edges of your blade.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I bought a spyderco sharpmaker a couple years back and couldn't possibly be more pleased. It's incredibly easy to use, and I can usually get a razor edge with very little effort. Only thing it's bad at is dealing with very dull neglected knives, but seriously what sharper is good at those?

• 2A
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

A stone and leather strop.......

These videos will help too...

Watch this series of videos for tips by selecting videos in right hand window called Related Videos .

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

sterling knife sharpener at edc depot.com

Source(s): bought one myself
  • mike s
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

get a plain old water stone and honing oil

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.