how is effective is the flu shot?

Are you aware of any studies that prove or disprove their effectiveness.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hello,

This year the Lancet published a study that reinforces a previous study by The New England Journal of Medicine that concluded that there was NO decreased risk of pneumonia in the elderly that were administered influenza vaccines. There was also a study in October by the Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine found that associated reduction of hospitalization and doctor visits were not decreased for children receiving the vaccine.

Source: http://www.wellsphere.com/healthy-living-article/j...

In fact flu vaccines are generally advised to people who suffer from chronic heart or lung conditions including asthma.The likelihood of the flu vaccine causing serious side effects is not very common, however unpleasant side effects may occur and these *include soreness, redness or swelling where the injection was given, fever, muscle aches and feeling unwell. Furthermore, although unlikely, severe allergic reactions have been known to occur – usually shortly after the shot is administered. For this reason, women who are pregnant, the elderly and small children and babies should look to a natural alternative as an option to the conventional flu vaccine.

Many people are unaware that there are effective homeopathic alternatives to the conventional flu vaccine. Orally administered, homeopathic flu vaccines may be used by all ages and can help to prevent influenza infection, without the side effects and complications sometimes experienced by the conventional flu vaccine.

One such area is homeopathy. Homeopathic remedies have been formulated to act as a natural flu vaccine and support the immune system without toxic side effects. The natural version of the flu vaccination consists of the homeopathic version of the crude virus – so no live virus is used! Carefully selected ingredients such as Influenzinum, Bacillinum, Gelsemium and Nux vomica can provide seasonal protection against the current flu viruses improves recovery time from symptoms and boosts the body’s immune system.

Hope that helped

Good Luck!

• Az R
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

In a good-match season, flu vaccinations, either injectable, or the flu mist inhaled system tend to be between 85-92% effective.

There's so many studies on them that it's absolutely bewildering to sort through them. Some only measure the incidence of upper respiratory tract infections - and most of those are caused by rhinoviruses and the like, not influenza. The best ones use lab serology or other methods to confirm Influenza, and what subtype it is.

This is a decent study: http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/284/13/1...

It's more aimed at children bringing the flu home from school

PMID: 19230153, Efficacy and effectiveness of influenza vaccination., is a review of a very large amount of data, you'll need an Elsevier subscription to view it though.

Here's another big study in JAMA http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/282/2/13... - because of it's size, they didn't measure influenza specifically, just any febrile illness. This is specifically on the intranasal influenza vaccine.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

different for every age group, and the time between taking the shot and getting the virus.

for elderly, critics claim the shot is harmful to them per se. however, the vaccine coverage has increased from 15% in 1980 and about 65% today. and flu frequencies has dropped among elderly. so it's either it is useful, or it's other factors in overall change of lifestyle that contributed to the improvement.

as for children, it is recommended for 6 months old to 18 year-olds.

it can also be noted that vitamin D is a proven close alternative to the flu vaccine.

• 4 years ago

i'm diabetic, my surgeon keeps my pictures up as much as now. so some distance no flu this twelve months, i'm in basic terms getting over a bout with pancreatitis although. i think of i will make a controversy in desire of the flu. Cheers GIMP

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.