Would going to Columbia University for journalism mean extra years of school for me?

I'm about to start my senior year in high school, so naturally I'm trying to figure out what college is right for me. My top two choices are NYU and Columbia. From what I've heard, Columbia's journalism program is one of the best. However, their school for it is a graduate school, so I would... show more I'm about to start my senior year in high school, so naturally I'm trying to figure out what college is right for me. My top two choices are NYU and Columbia.

From what I've heard, Columbia's journalism program is one of the best. However, their school for it is a graduate school, so I would have to get my Bachelor's in something else first. How long does graduate school take? Is it four years like regular college? How many years in total would I have to be in school if I choose Columbia? And how many for NYU?

I know I must sound completely in the dark, and I guess I am. This is all so new to me, and I need all the help I can get. There's still so much about this process I don't understand, so any advice you can give would be much appreciated.
1 answer 1