Would going to Columbia University for journalism mean extra years of school for me?

I'm about to start my senior year in high school, so naturally I'm trying to figure out what college is right for me. My top two choices are NYU and Columbia.

From what I've heard, Columbia's journalism program is one of the best. However, their school for it is a graduate school, so I would have to get my Bachelor's in something else first. How long does graduate school take? Is it four years like regular college? How many years in total would I have to be in school if I choose Columbia? And how many for NYU?

I know I must sound completely in the dark, and I guess I am. This is all so new to me, and I need all the help I can get. There's still so much about this process I don't understand, so any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

• J.H.
    Best Answer

I looked at Columbia a few years ago for journalism, so I know what you're going through. Most schools, including Columbia, will have tenative schedules or examples of a student's classes during their undergraduate orgraduate years.

Link:

http://www.journalism.columbia.edu/cs/ContentServe...

With undergrad, it looks like there are some basic studies that can be done. That's also not to say you can't get your undergrad elsewhere and apply to Columbia for grad school.

Hey, you could even do both and get your undergrad at NYU and your grad degree from Columbia. Lol.

In answer to your question, it's not so much as years as it is credits you need. So if you are able to complete 18 credits each semester, you'd be done in a year or so. If you could only do 9 credits a semester, it'd be two years or so. (That's with the Columbia Grad J-school.)

Usually it's that way for most other schools. For example, if you completed all the credit requirements in two years, you'd be done. They just say "four years of college" because that's about the average amount of time it takes. At my school (I decided to stay closer to home), it took me 4.5 years. Other people I know finished in three years, some are still in school after six years. It's about the credits.

It also depends which program you are choosing and how you are as a student that will impact how much extra time it would take you to get a graduate degree.

Also, don't forget to actually visit and tour each campus to see which one you feel better at. What looks great on paper isn't always what's best for ourselves. Eh?

Update if you have any other questions.

Source(s): College grad with journalism degree.