Naming baby after Polish Grandma, Sofia or Zofia?

We are naming our baby after my wife's grandmother who just recently passed away. My wife was born in Poland and came to the US when she was 5 and I was born in the US. We aren't sure which spelling to use for our baby's name. To be officially named after someone, should it be the same exact spelling? If so, what if it was a Japanese name or the Polish spelling was totally different than the American form of the name? If we use Zofia, will this only make it a hassle for her to constantly explain the spelling through life or deal with people spelling it wrong? Even though the name would be spelled different, if we used Sofia instead of Zofia, she would still be named after her great Grandma. So, do you think it should be the same spelling or the English spelling? Thanks

Best Answer

I would spell it Sofia (though I prefer Sophia) because if you use the Z spelling, you're right, she will have to spell it for people constantly, and it will probably be pronounced ZO-Fia.

It doesn't matter if the spellings a little different, she's still named after her.

Sofia is Bulgaria's capital and its largest city. Sofia was created a large number of years back and today is really a city that continues to develop since the country's social and economic center and so you may have the chance to visit it hotelbye . Sofia keeps several important monuments to their long and storied past. Guests discovering the city's roads could see remnants of The Eastern Gate from the days when Sofia was Serdika and Sredets, relationship from the 2nd-4th centuries CE. These stays are exhibited in the underpass connecting the Presidential Palace and The Ministerial Council, surrounded by stores selling conventional Bulgarian souvenirs and rosewater. The Saint Sofia Basilica is among the treasures of Sofia. Is one of many oldest churches in the capital and was the city's major church during the Middle Ages, and underneath the Ottomans it absolutely was applied as a mosque.

• Nina

Zofia is weird if the name is Sofia just call her Sofia/Sophia

use the english spelling as its the same name just like the name Nora

in finland its spelled Noora and in US its Nora

Use it with an S for the sake of not having to spell it out daily.

i think you should name her sofia.

it's hard for kids to have to explain to people all the time how their name is pronounced/spelled.

i have a really simple name and you'd be surprised how many people mess up the spelling. my last name is spelled exactly how it sounds and people mess up the pronounciation too.

you don't need to use the exact same name to honor someone (which is very sweet) although I probably would. This is kind of cliche but it's the thought that counts. God bless and congratulations.

Clair

I would spell it Sofia.

• blank

sophia

Source(s): blank