• Business & Finance >
  • Personal Finance
  • Business & Finance >
  • Personal Finance

Moving out on your own for the first time-- 18?

• Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I want to do this right, so I'm giving myself a long enough period of time (1 year) to save up money, acquire furniture and such. Does anyone have any tips for this new adventure? ...show more
Best Answer
  • Sam answered 6 years ago
Depends on where you're living but the one thing I regret above all else was not checking out my landlord. They are useless. I took 10 days to get the light bulb in my kitchen replace and 2 and a half weeks of me sleeping on my living room floor before they took care of the bedbugs.

Now that I'm done scaring you, here are some other tips:

1. You're going to feel poor. You won't have as much money as you're used to since you'll need to buy things you never thought of before. You never realize how expensive paper towels are and how fast soap runs until it comes out of your pocket. Frequently.

2. Ikea is cool, if you've got the money. If not, there's nothing wrong with craigslist as long as you follow some simple rules. NEVER purchase or pick up mattresses. You don't know what they've been through and there's nothing like smell of urine and the millions of bed bugs running through your bed to learn from. If a listing doesn't have pictures, don't bother. Don't pick up items off the street. Inspect all items carefully for infestation via bedbugs (check out www.bedbugger.com on how to spot them), roaches, mice or other vermin. (We got most of our furniture including a bedframe, coffee table, two night stands and a cupboard from craigslist for under 100 dollars and it was worth everyhigh school. Don't take on roommates unless you're sure you can handle it. It may seem cool to live with your bud from high school. Until he repeatedly gives you the rent and bill money weeks late. Or brings his friends over at 3 AM to play GOW.

4. Do an inspection on the apartment before you move in. You can find checklists online. Make sure to do a walk through with your landlord so they can't try to screw you over when the lease is up.

5. Visit the apartment at different times a day. When we first came, the place was quiet. For the next six months, our neighbors had parties until 6 in the morning.

6. Save your money. Calculate two to three months rent. Calculate two to three months of bills. Add these two together. This is what you need saved, at the very least, to move out. (You'll need to pay a security deposit +first month and -and sometimes last months- rent). God forbid you lose your job or you need to take time off for whatever reason, you have a cushion. Make sure to add to this as oftenland lineible. The more you have saved up, the better.

7. Look for free, legal entertainment. My mom insisted I have a land line and my sister/roommate insisted we get cable. We settle on Optimum and as a bonus, my husband and I see movparades on Tuesdays. WE also visit the zoo and aquarium on the free days. And don't forget the park, beach and holiday parades.

8. COOK! You can save hundreds of dollars a month eating at home. We frequent www.kraftfoods.com for recipes and try new things all the time. We even learned to bake apple pies which we give as presents during the holidays.

Man, there are so many things to tell you and not enough time. Just stay safe and smart. If you have any other questions, feel free to email me.

Good luck,

Sam

Source:

Life
  • 1
    0
  • Comment

Other Answers (3)

• Relevance
  • Rating
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • ? answered 6 years ago
    You'll have to become very cheap until you learn how manage all your bills. Focus on saving money for payments and things you really need.

Don't just let anyone be your roommate. I mean I don't know if you're going to do that but seriously if you let a friend move in just because they're a friend beware of what they live like lol. That may not seem like a big deal at all but it really is.

After you get your apartment set up with everything that you need you can start getting all the wants. Such as decorations or a bigger TV or something, but remember to always have a savings. You never know when something might come up and you'll need two or three hundred dollars out of nowhere. For the savings just keep 10% or so of what you earn each paycheck and you should be fine.

Oh and very important, do you researching. My friend moved into a 1300 dollar (that's pretty expensive for a single here) apartment complex that's suppose to be luxury. His neighbors are loud, there's crime, etc. A good way to tell is just walk around and see if you have loud crazy people living there or people who keep to themselves. You can also tell by the type of cars people drive what type of people they will be themselves.

Also, they will offer you several lease options like 6 months or 12 months, etc. I would suggest to go with the lowest, 4-8 month lease. Even though the longer leases are less expensive you really might regret living there. Or you might have other plans and want to move to a new location. Once you get settled and your few months are over you'll have a much better idea of how long you want to lease for then.

Good luck with everything, hope that helps!
    • 1
      0
    • Comment
  • 2 answers hidden
  • texasassassin96 answered 6 years ago
    I can't wait, as soon as summer after sr. year is done, I"M GONE!
    • 1
      2
    • Comment
  • Ali Imam answered 6 years ago
    work at home for extra earning its so easy to grow your own business at home, spending few hour's online please send us your email address and we send you a complete details free.
    email address is aliimam_syed@yahoo.com
    • 0
      2
    • Comment
  • moving out on your own for the first time-- 18?
    I want to do this right, so I'm giving myself a long enough period of time (1 year) to save up money, acquire furniture and such. Does anyone have any tips for this new adventure? Are there anythings' you would have done over, or information you wish you knew before?
    Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock