Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

How do I care for a katydid?

i found a katydid on my parents car this morning and put him (how do u know if it's a boy or girl?) in a plastic container with grass, leaves, a twig, and small rock. My mom is curently at the store buying a little cage for olive (thats "his" name). I don't know what to feed it, how long it will live, or what to add to its cage :( I need as much info as possible plz.

Thank you!

I beleive it is a female bush katydid?

Favorite Answer

From my experience, insects in general are hard to keep alive. From what I can gather on the internet, it looks like katydids will either eat leaves and flowers or they are predatory. Since you found him on a car, we don't know what kind of plants he eats (if he even eats plants) I would recommend either buying a good field guide (the Audubon society makes a good one) or going to the library to see if you can identify what species of katydid he is exactly and it might tell you what he eats. Also he'll need water, you could try misting the leaves you put in his cage (don't over do it though because things could get moldy). To start out though, put as large of a variety of vegetation in there as you can and make sure he has plenty of places to hide. My real advice though if you really want Olive to be happy would be to keep him for a few days and then let him go. He'll be happier living in your yard where he would be free to search for a lovely Mrs. Olive =) Good Luck!

What Do Katydids Eat

ok well as u should know katydids are relatives to grasshoppers and crickets so depending what kind of katydid u have it should eat any greens like lettuce and cabbage..also as bedding use some dirt so just incase its a girl and it wants to lay eggs it can but as i said depending on what kind of katydid it is it might not eat that stuff so give it some choices (veggies and fruit) well good luck =)

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How do I care for a katydid?

i found a katydid on my parents car this morning and put him (how do u know if it's a boy or girl?) in a plastic container with grass, leaves, a twig, and small rock. My mom is curently at the store buying a little cage for olive (thats "his" name). I don't know what to feed it,...

Source(s): care katydid: https://bitly.im/p146V

I have one that's been alive for about 2 months its very annoying at night when he decides to sing mating noises to me what a pain in the ***