Anonymous

Were the egyptians black white ect.?

Okay Someone answered this and this is what she said:

"First of all Africa is Continent not a country. Africa en-bodies over 50 countries and you can literally fit 3 United States in the Continent of Africa. So I wish people would stop referring to the Continent and it array of different people from different countries as if it was such a small land and a country. Not all "Africans" look alike nor should they. But to answer the question, Egypt over billions of years was inhabited by many different tribes from neighboring countries because it was an ideal land since the Nile River flowes through it and for many other reasons. In the era in which Egypt was a great kingdom and were most of the drawings and artifacts come from the people were call mulattoes (this is the origin of this word) meaning mixed bread. The people were a completely mixed breed race of Black Africans and Arabic people."

Its true. think of Africa as the united continent before the united states was born, EVERYONE in it was Africans of all colors but they didn't think differently of each other. the whole problem of rather or not Egyptians were black or white was a thought born out of racism. and rather they be light skin Africans or dark skinned Africans, Either way you slice it, either way you try to claim the history it is still apart of african history-and Africa was a country of multi-colored people(I wouldn't say multi-raced because they all considered them selves africans.) Some had light skin some had dark, some had slanted eyes, some had wide. I just wish that people wouldn't be so closed minded about the countrie(s) of Africa. And even for african americans, they shouldn't be so closed minded about their own history(light skinned African Americans and dark skinned)- and also the Arab people.

30 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I will tell you the absolute truth regarding the question about what was the race of the ancient Egyptians. The ancient Egyptians were a people classified as "Berber" people. They are the aboriginal Caucasian people of North Africa. By Caucasian, I don't mean White as in the sense of European, and by Caucasian I don't mean Arab in the sense of Semitic. They are their own people. Today, alot of them have been killed when Arabs invaded North Africa or lost their Berber identity when they were forced to convert to Islam which required them to adopt Arabic culture. You can still find some Berber people in Egypt, they comprise the vast majority of the Coptic Church of Egypt, and today, instead of calling themselves Berber, they identify as the Coptic peoples, as they tend to be heavily religious. Africa is not all "Black" people. Almost 300 million of Africa's 800 million people are Caucasian, mostly Arab Caucasian, while the rest are "Black." Saying Egypt was a black civilization because it was on the continent of Africa is like saying China's civilization is White because it is on the continent of Eurasia. Look at the ancient mummies of Egypt, a massive number of them have red hair, a characteristic that is common of Berber people.

Plus, the origin of the word "mulatto" did NOT come from Egypt. It came around the time of the Moorish invasion of Spain when Arab people referred to the children of mixed Arab and White heritage as muwállad. The word was adopted by the Spanish and became "mulatto." The first time it ever referred to a Black/White mixed person was in Latin America during colonization. It was then later adopted by the Anglo language.

Also, Egyptians thought themselves as an entire different race. They never considered themselves as "African" as the continent of "Africa" didn't exist until British explorers decided what the boundaries of "Africa" should be. The countries above the Sub-Sahara desert never linked themselves to the countries below the Sub-Sahara before the British forced them to. The Egyptians hated the people from Nubia (the Nubians are your stereotypical "black" people) waging war against them on many occasions. The Egyptians depicted the Nubians as black-skinned in their artifacts about them. The Egyptians even highlighted the Nubians’ kinky hair, wide nose and projecting jaw, since the Egyptians didn't have those features and Egyptians highlighted characteristics in the people they considered the "other."

Your friend is correct in the fact that different people from neighboring countries went to Egypt because it was in an ideal location. In fact, the first King of Egypt was an Arabic man who had immigrated to Egypt and united Northern and Southern Egypt. The Jews, Greeks, etc would also go there often to do trade.

Concerning Egypt and their skin color, Egyptian men used red paint to depict themselves, and used yellow paint to depict Egyptian women. They used white paint to depict Greeks and Jews. They used black paint to depict "Black" people. What is interesting is that they also used red paint for Arab men and yellow paint for Arab women, which pretty much indicts that Arabs had the same skin tone as them.

So in conclusion, the Egyptians were NEITHER black or white. They were the Berber people today known as the Coptic people of Egypt. The Berber people have gone through continuous genocide throughout their history and even face considerable hardships today, please respect their heritage and allow them to have Egypt which is rightfully theirs.

Finally, African Americans came from South Western Africa. They do not have anything to do with Eastern Africa. Saying that they do is like saying that Chinese people should take pride in Russia since they share the same land mass, when China doesn’t really have nothing to do with Russia’s culture or heritage. African Americans have enough to be proud of then trying to identify with cultures that are distant and have no link to them besides it residing on the social-political boundaries of “Africa.”

• ...Show all comments
    • Trisha D5 years agoReport

Jessica's argument may have seemed valid for those who haven't done their own research except she decided to throw a little racism in the mix which shows that she's biased. "The Nubians are your stereotypical black people raging war ..." My advice is do your own research.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Black Egyptians

• 4 years ago

Okie dokie, let's see what we have here... So, there's a majority of people saying that Egyptians were Caucasian - that's false. However, there is another majority saying that they are African American - that, is false too. The Egyptians, like everyone else, have their own race - they're Egyptian. They're not Black. They're not White. It's as simple as that. A lot of people I've talked to believe that we should just say they're Black because we owe it to them since, you know, we put them into slavery. But, many, many, people forget that their own people sold them. So, the Africans are just as guilty as the Caucasians. Now, here's a picture of women who live in Africa : http://solarey.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/shad... . Now, I believe that the Egyptian skin color could vary from Sand 4-5 all the way to Clay 2-3. The rest of the shades are a bit too dark or too light to be the Egyptian race's skin color. So, there you all have it! The Egyptians were neither Black nor White, but Egyptian! Hope I could help!

Source(s): Facts
  • 5 years ago

There is a reason this place is called yahoo, You would have to be a yahoo to believe an African civilization that was 9000 years old was white. That's like saying the ancient indigenous cultures of Australia or New Zealand or The Americas were white.

atlantablackstar.com/2013/10/25/10-arguments-that-proves-ancient-egyptians-were-black/3/

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

The ancient Egyptian race was Hamitic. Ham son of Noah who inhabited the Africa and other lands. The ancient Egyptians referred to them selves as Rem khemi or Remi Kami. Rem means people or nation and khemi means black.

The ancient Egyptians had dark skin some would look Arabian, or Indian and some looked like Ethiopians and some looked like Mediterranean or Berbers. They had many shades of colors usually brown, and it also dependent if they were from lower or upper Egypt.

May god bless them.

• tommy5 years agoReport

smart i love this answer

• 5 years ago

The Egyptians were black that is the truth I am not racial but you can't live in the sun and not get a tan in Egypt there is no rain snow only blazing sun as painted in there art the paintings are Brown

Source(s): Been there before
  • 5 years ago

Funny they've never done a comprehensive DNA study to get to the truth. Arabs and whites don't want to know the answer. They've done these studies for Britain to sort viking from anglo and celt. The world can not hear that they were black when celts and anglos were literally eating dirt, black were building wonders.

• 5 years ago

the first ever pharaoh of egypt was narmer and its widely believe he was black of african decent..and his predecessor was ka another african..so to answer you question they started black untill invasion..and its a great saying that says nubia is the mother of egypt..and they are black..but understand black varies from light skinned to very dark skin..and a lot of pharaohs has sub Saharan ancestry..so it sounds like they were black..i would even say some were mixed..

• 5 years ago

Ancient Egypt was of dark skin Sons of Ham which itself mean burnt. These were people of color. Did they look 100% like African and/or African Americans of today, maybe not, but they were People of Color and not White as Hollywood would have you believe. But, one thing is 100% they were African being from Africa not Middle East and not Europe.

• 4 years ago

Were The Ancient Egyptians Black

• 5 years ago

I'm going to shorten my answer down a bit. Egypt is a country on the continent of Africa. Therefore Egyptians are African a.k.a Black. Egyptians aren't white, that's Hollywoods lame interpretation.

• James5 years agoReport

Your a moron, read the best answer above for the truth. All blacks who say they share a history with Egypt are just delusional and clinging to any idea they were more than mere tribes living in huts before they became slaves. Sorry, but those are the roots. Find honor in that heritage not a fake one

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.