About leukemia in children.?

There's a child with leukemia, a young child who will have to deal with chemotherapy and losing hair. I believe that the best way to deal with something is to face it. That is, that it's important that this child knows what's going to happen in order to overcome it. Should she know she'll eventually loose her hair or should she notice when she brushes her hair and it falls down? Due to circumstances she will loose her hair, there's no choice. I believe in telling her and helping her deal with this. Usually hiding things, overprotecting, leads to weakening the persons instead of helping them. What do you think?

Thanks a lot.

Favorite Answer

I feel it's the parents' job as well as the oncologist's to tell the child what will go on. If this child you're talking about is yours then I think you should let her know what will happen, at an age appropriate level. I don't know the age of the child you're taking about but my son was diagnosed with leukemia shortly after he turned 2. Telling him everything wouldn't be appropriate, he wouldn't understand or really care. We tell him what he needs to know, such as the medicine he's getting is to help him fight off his "monster" since he's too young to fully understand what cancer is and what it does. He knows he doesn't have hair like most other people but he's ok with it, he loves to draw with markers on his head or stick stickers all over himself. I chose to shave my head early on because it made him feel better that he got to look like daddy. He doesn't need to know everything in the same ways that my wife and I need to know but at the same time we don't keep things from him because we both agree with your statement hiding things and overprotecting lead to weakening instead of helping.

If the child is not yours I don't think it's your place to fill her in on things without her parents' permission. You may consider talking to them and asking them to not keep her in the dark as much. You don't want to put yourself between a parent and a sick child, they're all dealing with a lot.

I hope this helped you out some. If you have any more questions feel free to email me (crazycanuckj@yahoo.ca) or IM me (crazycanuckj).

Source(s): My 2 year old son is a warrior who beat a Wilms' Tumour and is currently battling Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia and a Hepatoblastoma. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/warrioreli
  • Panda

I am not sure what you are talking about . . it is the general policy of pediatric oncologists to tell children in an age appropriate manner everything that they need to know. It is far better for the child to know what to expect than for him to be surprised. Children can sense when something is wrong and they can also understand far more than what adults sometimes give them credit to understand. Honesty is the best way . . especially if the pediatric oncologist ever wants the child he treats to 'trust him'. My sons oncologists were always truthful with him and he heard some pretty difficult news much of the time.

Your question is a bit strange since you do not mention what relationship you have with this child. If this is not your child than you really need to keep your opinions to yourself and allow the parents to deal with the situation the way that they want. They will be consulting with a pediatric oncologist, he is the professional and will be able to guide them in this matter.

My little cousin passed away from leukemia. You need to tell her. It will be hard to hear and start the process of understanding for her, but it will be so much worse if all of a sudden, for 'no reason' that she's aware of, all of her hair starts falling out. She's going to experience these things, it's not like by not telling her about something she will only possibly encounter the problem (sex, drugs, ect... things that you don't HAVE to deal with) but she will have to deal with her situation, and it's best to be prepared. Calmly explain it to her, and perhaps while she still has hair, take her to pick out a wig she likes, or offer that when her hair falls out you'll shave your head too so she's not so alone. I wish you and her luck.

Managing a child's medical care and expectations is the role of her parents and doctors. You sound like you are outside of that group, so it is best to mind your own business.

Yes you definetly need to tell her. It would be scary for her to just find out while it happens. Give her some time before it happens to think about and take it all in.

I totaly agree with you.