Where do I find the TPS (throttle position sensor) on a 1998 Kia Sephia???? Please help.?

I have gone to Auto Zone and had the codes read from the check engine light and been told I need to replace the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) on my 1998 Kia Sephia. I purchased a brand new TPS but can not find the location of the TPS under the hood. Diagrams would be helpful. I would like to repair this ASAP.

• bob
    Favorite Answer

When you press on the gas pedal this connects to the throttle and you or an assistant should be able to see what is moving under the hood when you mash the gas pedal, it don't have to be running!

The throttle position sensor should be in that area where the cable is moving the throttle!

If you are going to do work on your car, you should get a repair manual,Auto Zone should have one! It will have diagrams and pictures in it of parts locations!

Well worth the costs!

also you can get Alldata online repair info!

http://www.alldatadiy.com/buy/index.html

• LynnM

The TPS is a variable resistor type device, You set it with a volt ohm meter. The procedure is quite simple but the value changes with each vehicle, you need to know what the required value and procedure is. Forget cleaning it, most are riveted together. Even if you replace it, it has to be calibrated per the vehicle specs. FYI, they don't go bad often, they are a low voltage,low current device. But they do crap out. Dust inside them can be a problem, they aren't an expensive part. Don't guess at the setting, it is important for the computer to know the exact position of the throttle so it can calculate other things.