Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Does a Root Canal hurt?

I have to get a Root Canal on this Tuesday,and im worried that it's really going to hurt.Do i need a crown after it? How much will this be?

Favorite Answer

You will experience no pain from the root canal itself. For starters the nerves in the tooth are already dead. Chances are you've just finished a round of antibiotics to help eliminate the source of your problem: an abscess. As a precaution your doctor will most likely numb the tooth to protect you from any immediate and incidental damage to the gums surrounding the bad tooth. At some point he will drill into your tooth, clean out the dead nerve material and place a permanent sealer into each open and newly cleaned nerve canal. If you don't need a crown he will seal the initial drill site and prepare it to match the opposing tooth (up or down). If you need a crown and he is going to do it, you will most likely have a choice of material depending on the type of tooth and its location in your mouth. For a front tooth the ideal choice would be porcelian and for a molar he might suggest gold because of its durability under extreme biting pressure. The cost of a crown will be dictated by both the size and the material. Last, once your doctor has finished the root canal he will most likely give you another round of antibiotics to ensure success. Once the numbing wears off you might experience some discomfort from the disturbed tissue around the tooth. So he might prescribe a mild pain killer or perhaps nothing more than your favorite over the counter product will be sufficient. I'll wish you luck but you probably won't need it.

Source(s): Three previous root canals.

Having a root canal is no longer the horrible experience that it once was. Your Dr. will use local anesthesia and likely give you instructions to take mild pain meds for post op discomfort. The cost really depends which tooth is needing the work. Front teeth approx. $4-500 and molars upwards of $900-1,000. After the root canal you will NEED to have a crown done. This is because after having a root canal the tooth can become brittle being that it has lost it's blood supply, and needs the crown for strength. Having the crown done afterward is really important so that your tooth is protected and so is the investment you have made in the root canal.

Source(s): Dental Assistant
  • Kaworu

I've had five root canals and I think that the root canal itself was a lot less painful than the condition that it had to treat. It will hurt some, especially after the the anesthetic wears off. It's manageable though.

Yes you will need a crown afterward. This is usually done at the same visit as the root canal.

How much depends on your dentist. For me I think it was usually a few hundred dollars after my insurance paid their 50%. It's a good idea to ask ahead of time, and make sure your benefits are still good.

• Kim

Modern dental surgery doesn't really hurt. It is uncomfortable, but rarely will you suffer any significant amount of pain if you follow all instructions given to you by the dentist. You should probably take a couple of pain killers as soon as you're able to drink liquids after the surgery, because once the numbing effect wears off, you may experience pain for a short while (I recently had an extraction and this is precisely what happened to me--trust me, don't take the chance, just take the pills). Root canals do not intrude into the tissues of the mouth the way extractions do, so you're not likely to experience much, if any, discomfort. At worst you will have minor pain localized in that one tooth, but you will find yourself quite capable of moving on with your life almost as if nothing happened. Just be sure to get a proper crown done within a few weeks. If you don't, your tooth may literally crumble inside your mouth.

my friend has had like 4 root canals he says they hurt only for a little while, it is mainly like an intense cavity filling, if you have ever had a filling. But instead of just filling a little hole, they drill right into the root of your tooth! :( they do freeze your mouth though. i am not sure how much it is but good luck!

Because im a kid mine was free. It hurts a little, the needle isnt too bad but it goes through you more than hurts, My dentist like did something that rattled all my teeth and it felt horrible. It doesn't last very long though and you will be fine!

during root canal dentist destroy the raw nerve ending & get the cavity filled up with synthetic matirial but capping at the end is necessary,so that it will not come out

Source(s): my brain
  • peanut

It does not hurt if it is done properly. Yes, you will need a crown. It will cost about 800 dollars.

no, it is a very pleasant sensation that some say is like a scalp massage