BrainBabe asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Who cleans up after a blind person's seeing eye dog does his business on a walk? I know it is the law, but...?

I just can't imagine the dog's owner trying to clean up dog waste when he/she is blind. Could the owner be ticketed for not cleaning up after the dog?

(This is one of the things that pops into my head when I can't sleep at night!)

Favorite Answer

Some cities exempt guide dog owners and other service dog owners from scooping laws, but most do not. There is no need for an exemption because blind people are just as capable as sighted people in doing most things, including cleaning up after their dogs.

A person doesn't have to see poop to pick it up. Like anyone else, a blind person knows which end of the dog is which, and the dog only toilets on command so they know the when and where of poopology. A hand is inserted in a plastic poop bag like a glove and then the scooper feels around for the warm squooshy stuff, grasps it, and turns the bag inside out. It's exactly the same for a sighted person who walks their dog at night and must scoop in the dark.

Guide dog schools train their clients how to scoop as part of team training.

Source(s): I'm a service dog trainer.

Guide dogs have extensive training in toileting to ensure that they always have impeccilbe toileting habbits. They are trained to never ever go when in harness and to also only go on command. Hence when working in harness they would not go, they have been trained to hold it for as long as necesary. They are allowed to fly in the passenger cabin of planes and need to be able to fly from one side of the world to the other without going.

They are trained to go in the gutter in the US and some other countries, and on grass in others. This is so when the handler does take the dog out to toilet while they are not at home or if they live in an appartment the dog will not be going on the side walk or some other place. Guide dog users like all blind people are not useless and during team training they taught to pick up after the dog. If for some reason they do miss a small bit then it would be in an out of way place. But they are taught to pick up after their dogs just like people in wheelchairs with service dogs are given large scoopers that they can use to pick up after their dogs There is no reason for them to be given an exemption from the law, but if some bit did roll away and they missed that bit one would hope that the law enforcement officals would see that they have done the best they can do, they have taken the dog in the appropriate place and made a concerted effort to pick up after their dogs

blind and other disabled people with all types of service dogs whether seeing eye/guide dogs or other dogs really do leave the rest of the population to shame. If these people are able to pick up after their dogs then the able bodied population really has no excuses at all.

Source(s): Service dog partner and disability advocate

Actually the blind owner DOES clean it up. They use a baggie, and find the mess.

Generally the dog is trained to go on command, so that the person can tell the dog to go while they are at home.. but if the animal goes while out in public, the handler is still responsible for cleaning it up.

That's part of having a service dog. If you cannot take care of the animal and clean up after it, then you are not qualified to own one.

the blind owner is not HELPLESS ya know!

its quite simple to find the deposit without being able to see it - I use this method when I'm walking a dog after dark -put plastic bag covered hand on squatting dogs back - follow the curve of back move down to logical drop point - feel around in circle - the weight of poo will be obvious when you contact it even through the bag

LOL this isnt funny, but it made me laugh.

I dout it........ you know? I mean how can they give someone blind a citation.

But I also think the dogs wait to go until they are home or qued.

• Maxi

Guide Dogs are taught to go to the gutter to go toilet during their extensive training................so no it is not cleaned up, the law doesn't apply to them.

Source(s): Animal behaviourist

I think the cops will let it slide...

I've often wounded about that