Blake H asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

should the mlb change their playoff format?

i think they should get rid of the division, make the regular season schedule more balance and that they should make the best 4 teams with the best record to advance to the playoffs. right now, it seems unfair that a team who is second or third place in the wildcard, who has a better record than the first place team on a weak division, are not allowed in the playoffs because they are runner-ups in a very strong division. should the mlb change it to this format.

ps-since i'm a basketball guy, i thought the nba playoff format will fit perfectly in baseball but baseball fans tell me no. people told me that this format will work. Will it.

Favorite Answer

Divisional play is the only feasible way to establish which teams should go into the playoffs. Period.

To improve baseball meaningfully, three things must happen.

1. No more scheduled inter-league play.

2. Elimination of the DH.

3. And a better balanced schedule.

One last note about the playoffs. I never want to see MLB trying to play baseball in the snow. It takes 2 months for NBA basketball to finally wind up its season..

A World Series in December just doesn't hack it.

The only possible change to the playoff format that will happen in the LDS becoming best 4 out of 7 instead of best 3 out of 5.

From 1969 to 1984, the LCS' were the best 3 out of 5, and were increased to a 7-game series.

I think they will increase the games in the LDS' to 7 games as well, because its brings in more money, and that's all baseball is about anymore, bleeding the fans.

The owners will oppose your plan.

I do think 4 divisions would be best.

I also think the season is too long, and could be cut by 12 or more games to enhance the playoff experience But the owners will never allow that one either. Starting in April is foolish as it snows some years. Cut games and take care of the fans first, owners will disagree there too.

But I do like your suggestion

I think the playoff format in baseball now is fine. But I wouldnt mind them changing it back to the way it was back in the 70's with only 1 round and then the world series

Good idea but it will never happen. The reason is that the owners of those mediocre division winners won't allow it to happen. Nothing generates interest in a team like a playoff race--unless the team is in Florida--and interest equals attendance equals money, and that's all that matters in today's game.

And since the commissioner is a former owner he'll abide by the wishes of his former cohorts.