Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

Why did Muhammad confuse Mary, Jesus' mom, with Miriam,Moses's sister?

In Sura 19:28, Mary, the mother of Jesus, is said to be the sister of Aaron and Moses and the daughter of Amram (Sura 66:12). However, Jesus was not born for another 1400 years after Moses! It is clear that Muhammad confused Miriam, the sister of Moses, with Mary the mother of Jesus and wife of Joseph.

Muslims try to counter this argument by saying that because Mary was the cousin of Elizabeth (the mother of John the Baptist) and Elizabeth was descendant of Aaron, then Mary could also be called the “daughter” of Amram in an extended fashion. However, there are a number of problems with this argument. First, Mary was more associated with the tribe of Judah than that of Levi, and this is the reason that Jesus is called the son of David (Luke 1:32) and was not of priestly descent (Hebrews 7:11-14). This means that it is more likely that Elizabeth’s father, the Levite priest, married the sister of either of Mary’s parents which would mean that Mary would not have any of the Levite blood in her that her cousin Elizabeth had. Even if this is not so, then Mary would still not have been called the daughter of Aaron in any extended sense since she was more related to the descendants of Judah.

The second and most obvious problem with this argument is from the Koran itself! In Sura 3:35-36 we read:

“(Remember) when the wife of ‘Imran said: My Lord! I have vowed unto Thee that which is in my belly as a consecrated (offering). Accept it from me. Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Hearer, the Knower! And when she was delivered she said: My Lord! Lo! I am delivered of a female – Allah knew best of what she was delivered – the male is not as the female; and lo! I have named her Mary, and lo! I crave Thy protection for her and for her offspring from Satan the outcast.”

-Sura 3:35-36

So why did Muhammad confuse Jesus mother Mary, with Moses sister Miriam when he decided to start a new religion & declare himself a Prophet?

Update:

@Nomad Think Tank: Unfortunately it does!

Here:

19:27 Then she brought him to her own folk, carrying him. They said: O Mary! Thou hast come with an amazing thing.

19:28 O sister of Aaron! Thy father was not a wicked man nor was thy mother a harlot.

I repeat: O sister of Aaron.

Update 2:

@The Nomad Think Tank: People were called brothers & sisters even from the link you gave if THEY CAME FROM THE SAME GENERATION!

And a woman could be called daughter if she belonged to that tribe!

How could Mary be sister even in a symbolic sense in a different generation, 1400 years later?

Also, why did Aaron's mom say that her daughter's name s Mary?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

muslims claim abraham the founder and father of the jewish people was a muslim. moses a leader of the jewish people a muslim. jesus the founder of christianity a muslim. muslims even claim mary was part of the trinity.if they believe this they will believe anything.

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Moses Sister

• 1 decade ago

Did Quran clearly says Mary was sister of Aaroon?

No.

What Quran says is completely different. It says, people called her by saying "O sister of Aaron"!!

There must be some social reason why she is called sister of Aaron!!

Edit: Exactly, you are missing something. This verse does not make declaration. It says People said so.

Edit: Do you think your explanation, that they do not come from same tribe is really credible?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In the Arabic construction of the sentence, sister is also considered as a descendant. Thus, when the people said to Mary, Ukhta Haroon i.e. ‘sister of Aaron’ it actually means descendant of Aaron (pbuh).

Read this:

http://www.ilovezakirnaik.com/misconceptions/d02.h...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

she is being referred to as a person from the tribe of aaron.

Its kinda like me calling you the son of adam... well your father might be named adam but thats not who im referring to... your a human. thus being a descendant of adam and eve.

If you knew the arabic language it would make more sense to you how the communication is taking place and thats why the quran is not meant to be transelated and it is perserved in its original spoken language and never changed... what revision is the bible on now? some words lose meaning in translation and when you keep revising, editing and translating... then you just end up with the bible and thats what we are trying to avoid... we are trying to maintain the truth in its native spoken language so we dont end up worshipping a god we killed which makes absolutely no sense. (astaghfirallah)

Source(s): Tom did you say muslims believe mary was part of the trinity? Muslims dont even believe in the trinity. If you associate anything/anyone with god then you have just completely left islam cause islam revolves around monotheism.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

“O sister (i.e. the like) of Haaroon (Aaron)! Your father was not a man who used to commit adultery, nor your mother was an unchaste woman.”

[Qur'aan : Maryam 19:28]

(O sister of Haaroon!) This means, "O one resembling Haaroon (Aaron) in worship.''

referring to the brother of Moosa, because she was of his descendants.

This is similar to the saying, `O brother of Tameem,' to one who is from the Tameemi tribe, and `O brother of Mudaar,' to one who is from the Mudaari tribe. It has also been said that she was related to a righteous man among them whose name was Haaroon and she was comparable to him in her abstinence and worship.

[ Tafseer al-Qur'aaan al-Azeem ]

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

No there is no confusion in Islam. The Quran refered to Mary as the sister of Moses her ancestor, she belonged to the tribe of Moses (PBUH) the same ancestry, family.

to the one who asked that question and to every christian

LOOK here:

Luke 1:5

"There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron (Greek: Thugater), and her name was Elisabeth"

• The premise of the question assumes that the Aaron mentioned in the Surah is Aaron, the brother of Moses. Moses is not mentioned in connection with Mary, only Aaron; Miriam is simply the name "Mary" in Arabic and is closer to what her real name would have been. None of the real-life characters in the Bible would respond to the English names we have assigned to them; English has pretty thoroughly bastardized every last one of them.

And you could equally -- and just as erroneously -- ask why the Bible confuses and/or conflates Joseph. Was he the father of Jesus or the son of Jacob who was surnamed Israel? The fathers of both Josephs were both named Jacob after all ... you could read that as a coincidence/cuteness or call it a conflation.

You could also look to the confusion of the several different Marys and the conflations of these Marys in the various gospels and the Christian interpretations thereof; how many Marys were there really? There are at least two people named Judas as well ... and Jesus was a common name then too. Why would you think that there would be no non-Levite Hebrews carrying the name of their illustrious common ancestor, Aaron? Are all people named Muhammad also Siyyids? Mary, the mother of Jesus, could very well have had a brother named Aaron and if Mary's father were dead and if Aaron were the oldest son/brother, he would be the so-called head of the family. This could also happen if the oldest son was quite well known in the community. I'm simply making logical suppositions based on the assumption that the Qur'an is more likely to be right than your personal suppositions of the strange and patently false propositions "Prior to A.D. 30, there existed only one person named Aaron and this was the brother of Miriam and Moses, the Prophet of the Hebrews" and, in conjunction with some of the other respondents, "If a person is named Aaron, therefore he is a Levite." Why not add Kohanim to that? the male-line descendants of Aaron, after all, are not just Levites but the Kohanim. Any conclusions based on the previously stated propositions would be subject to patent propositional fallacy.

I read nothing in the Surah to indicate that the Aaron mentioned is anything other that the actual brother of Mary who happened to be called Aaron and see no reason to dance around the issue and I'm not particularly worried if the gospels, which often don't agree with each other, don't agree.

And there are underlying cultural concepts in the writing of the various books of the Bible, the Qur'an and other Holy Books which need to be studied in depth prior to stating that any Prophet "made a mistake" so in the interests of not making a fool of yourself before God, first assume that the word of God is correct and think about the most likely things that this implies.

Essentially, my answer is that you asked the wrong question; you should have asked not "Why did ..." but "DID Muhammad confuse Mary, Jesus' mother, with Miriam, Moses' sister?" The simple answer to THIS question is "No, he did not." I think that you're most confused with the concept of calling Mary the mother of Jesus by the name Miriam and that THIS is confusing YOU; your understanding will improve if you read more and do so with an open mind.

In the Baha'i Writings, people of similar names are often conflated for literary or prophetic reasons though they aren't truly being conflated. For example, the saying of Ali "I am two years younger than my Lord" is used to refer to an Ali who lived over 1200 years later, Ali Muhammad, surnamed the Bab, who was born two years less a day (in the Muslim calendar) after Baha'u'llah.

Source(s): Logic, generic religious & linguistic knowledge and the ability to suppose that Muhammad is equally a prophet and would not make such a foolish mistake as you accuse him of.
  • 1 decade ago

Dear Asifa (Noor),

Peace be upon you.

In the Name of Allah, The Most Gracious, THe Most Merciful.

Aaron the brother of Moses was the first in the line of Israelite priesthood. Mary and her cousin Elisabeth (Mother of Prophet Yahya Alaihissalam) came of a priestly family, and were therefore "sister of Aaron" or daughter of 'Imran (who was Aaron's father). Mary is reminded of her high lineage and the unexceptionable morals of her father and mother. How, they said, she had fallen, and disgraced the name of her progenitors!

All Muslim knows the different between Mary the Sister of Prophet Musa (Prophet Moses, The Saviour of The Jews/Hebrews/Israelite) and Prophet Harun (Aaron) and Vergin Mary the Mother of Jesus Christ (Prophet Isa Al-Masehi Alaihissalam).

l am 'differentiating' between Mary sister of Prophet Moses and Prophet Harun and Mary the mother of Prophet Jesus Christ. See these.

(a). The Mary (Mariam) sister of Prophet Moses (Musa-Judaism-Scripture-Thorah, The Saviour of The Hebrews. Led them across The Sea of Reeds from Egypt to Peninsula Senai from the Pharoah) and Harun (Aaron). Decendent of Prophet Ya'qub Alaihis Salam.

(b). Mary (Mariam) binti Imran - bin Yashar bin Kahis bin Wardun bin Prophet Ya'qub Alaihissalam bin Prophet Ishaq Alaihis Salam bin Prophet Ibrahim Khalillullah.

(a). The Mary (Mariam) mother of Prophet Jesus Christ (Vergin Mary). Decendent of Prophet Sulaiman Alaihissalam.

(b). Mary (Mariam) binti Imran - bin Sahim bin Amur bin Misyam bin Hizkil bin Ahrif bin Au'am bin Izazaya bin Amsaya bin Hawas bin Hausa bin Harid bin Yahusafat bin Radim bin Abbaba bin Raji'un bin Prophet Sulaiman (Solomon) Alaihissalam bin Prophet Daud (David) Alaihissalam.

The period from Mary sister of Moses and Harun and Mary mother of Prophet Jesus Christ was after Prophet Ilyas, Prophet Ilyasa, Prophet Daud (David Scripture Zabur), Prophet Sulaiman (Solomon), Prophet Zakaria and Prophet Yahya.

Mary sister of Moses and Harun and Mary mother of Jesus are entirely two DIFFERENT person. The Gaps between both of them living in this world are hundred of years.

To me you are confused. My Prophet recieved the Revelation from Al-Mighty God Allah Subhanahu Wata'ala through Angel Gibreal from 610 till 632. Only the command of Worshipping Al-Mighty God Allah Subhanahu Wata'ala from Allah HIMSELF in Saidatul Mumtaha NOT through Angel Gibreal).

Please bear in your mind that Prophet Muhammad Sallalahhu'alaihi Wassalam himself perform three basic functions: He acted as the means hereby a clestial book, the Qur'an was revealed by God to mankind. Thus he was the founder of a world religion. He was also the ruler of the early Islamic community, which means that he enforced the Shariah which God had revealed through the Qur'an. Finally he was the possessor of the spiritual illumination and vision, and such he could interpret the inner meaning of the revelation and guide men upon the ascending stages of the path of spiritual perfection. Your ' ACCUSATION' that my Prophet was 'CONFUSE" on Mary the Sister of Prophet Moses and Prophet Harun and Vergin Mary the Mother of Prophet Jesus Christ is Absolutely "WRONG". If we, the followers of Prophet Muhammad Sallallahhu'alaihi Wassalam understand the different between Mary the Sister of Prophet Moses and Prophet Harun and Vergin Mary the Mother of Prophet Jesus Christ, of course our Prophet was "NOT CONFUSE". Just do not try to trick us. We know your game.

If really the Bible by Prophet Jesus Christ, Why the First Bible are not written in Prophet Jesus Christ mother's tongue. Why its was written in GREEK. The Mother tongue of Prophet Jesus Christ was Aramaic and Hebrews. YOU ANSWER ME?. Let me tell you that The New Testament of the Christian Bible was not written by Jesus or by anyone else in his time. It was, in fact in part written long after the death of Jesus by St. Paul, who was a Jewish Pharasee from Tarsus and he apparently held dual Jewish and Roman citizenship, and had never met Jesus, but wrote only that which was related to him, as he was in prison for a very lone time. What is more, his real name was SAUL. As paganism and idolatry were very popular at that time, he mixed these dogmas with was related to him of the preaching of Jesus, and wrote them all as being the true teachings of the Prophets Jesus. As against the teaching of the Master (Jesus) that salvation only comes through keeping of the commandments (Mathew 19:16-17), Paul nails the law and the commandments to the cross (Colossians 2:14 - One of the multifarious letters / correspondence of Paul among the 27 Books of the News Testament.), and claims that salvation can only be obtained through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ : -

"IF CHRIST BE NOT RISEN FROM THE DEAD, THEN OUR PREACHING IS VAIN, AND YOUR FAITH IS ALSO VAIN."

(1 Corinthians 15 : 14).

To end up. You are absolutely confuse. l would take the liberty of pointing out :-

Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him!) was sent to the Children of Israel ( Are you 'Asifa' The Children of Israel?.), he had no responsibility whatsoever towards any other nation or people, least of all the Europeans - Anglo-Saxons and the Russians (Slavs and Teutonics). Thus, while on the other hands, the Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace be on him!) testified to the truth of all the other prophets belonging to all the different nations of the world and made it a part of faith in Islam, on ther other hand, the Scripture of these previous prophets are found to contain clear prophecies about the advent of our Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace be on him!). This mutual corroboration, by furnishing a great evidence of the spiritual providence of God for humanity, strengthens people's faith in religion in general and the religion of Islam in particular. Prophecies in the New Testament. The Gospel of St. John. The Ahmad of Messiah in the Original Greek Text. (John 14 : 15; 16; 25; 26.. Prophecies in the Gospel of St. Banabas. "Muhammad is his Blessed name. (From the Gospel of St. Banabas. Edited and translated from the Italian manuscript in the Imperial Library at Vienna by Lonsdale and Laura Ragg, Oxford., 1907.). Therefore your claims that Prophet Muhammad decided to start a new religion and declare himself a Prophet is "ABSOLUTELY WRONG,". Look at this in the Reader's Digest.

"The Koran was revealed to Muhammad between the years 610 and 632 in the cities of Mecca and Medinah. Devoted scribes wrotes it down on 'scraps of paper, bark, and the white shoulder blades of animals'. The early revelations were dazzling assurances that there was only one God, Merciful, and Compassionate: 'HE is Allah, the Creator, the Maker, the Fashioner. Whatever is in the heaven and the earth declares HIS glory: and HE is Mighty, the Wise." (James A. Michner, "Islam - The Misunderstood Religion". in the Reader's Digest (American edition) for May, 1955. Just last one for you to see "It is more read than any other book in the world. The Christain Bible may be the best seller, but nearly 250 millions followers of the Prophet Muhammad read or recite long sections of Alcoran five times a day, every day of their lives, from the time they can talk." (Charles Fracis Potter. The Faith Men Lives By, Kingswood, Surrey, 1955, p.81). The above estimate of the world Muslim population is incorrect; its now estimated at over 1.5 Billion.

Wabillahhitaufiq Walhidayah Wassalamu'alaikum Warahmatullahhi Wabarakatuh.

Source(s): 1. "The Holy Quran" Text, Translation and Commentary - by A. Yusuf Ali. 2. Crucifixion or Crucifiction by Shiekh Ahmed Deedat. 3. Israel and The Prophecies of Al-Qur'an by Ali Akhbar 4. The Spiritual Life by Allamah Sayyid Muhammad Husayn Tabataba'i.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.