Have you had any Embarrassing Foreign Language Goofs?

Ok…so this is my last one…

I was conducting a seminar on Personal Safety and Security Awareness for some United Nations staff members (about 3000 total, but only about 50 at a time!). I was conducting the seminars in their local language of Tetum.

Everything was going well, until I started talking about various methods to relieve stress in a declared danger zone. I was explaining that exercise like lifting weights is a great stress reliever. Well, the Tetum word for lifting weights is “heet besi” heet = lift; besi = metal.

Unfortunately for me…I accidentally used a different Tetum word, “het”. My embarrassing mistake is that “het” is street slang for sex…similar to our f***.

So, I told them that they can have sex with metal. The attendees got a very good laugh at my expense…and I got an embarrassing reminder of just exactly how human I am.

Ok…so please share with us your embarrassing foreign language goofs!

Favorite Answer

I told the bus driver where I want to " excite ". The word was " exit ". Goofs are only a process toward learning but, yours got the year award.

• saenz

ROTFL You useful had me giggling stressful and incredibly much falling off my chair right here. i've got not got any distant places language issues. Mine could be all in english. lol Love the intercourse with the metallic. You being a doctor too. What a hoot. needed that chortle. enjoyed the memories via the guy who first spoke back your question. perfect on shop those real existence laughs coming. thank you rfile.

When I was first learning English I kept saying sex for six. And when I went to date a check, I wrote sex of march.

In turkish, I was trying to tell someone I missed them. In turkish you say, Seni ozluyorum. Instead of saying seni ozluyorum, I said seni oleyorum which means I'm killing you, instead of missing you. haha, it was very embarassing.

I was speaking Italian and meant to say that I was calling my parents. Instead of saying "genitori", I said "genitali".

Please excuse me while I call my privates. :-S