Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

Question about tampons?

I've been using tampons for a couple of years now and i always forget that i have one in so in the day its usually in for about 5 hours (light flow) and at night i wear one too which is about 9 hours. What are my chances of getting TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome)?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Chances of getting TSS is very low if you are taking all the right precautions when using tampons. Make sure you are not using higher than needed absorbency, the more absorbent the greater the risk, it may be related to a "drying" of the vagina, as well tampons contain things such as artificial fibers like rayon which causes added issues. Change them OFTEN, do not reuse them and watch for signs of TSS and if you have any go directly to your Dr. TSS signs include, sudden fever (102 degrees or more), vomiting, diarrhea, flu-like symptoms, fainting, dizziness, and/or a red rash on the body.

**FACT

Men, women and children can get toxic shock syndrome, for example following burns, boils, insect bites or infections after surgery. About half of the reported cases are linked to women who use tampons; the other half are not.

That said about TSS, there are MANY other health issues to consider when deciding to use tampons, ( and pads however pads are not inside us), many women are not aware of other health effects, they can however be as serious as TSS. Tampons contain many harmful ingredients, fillers, chemicals...these include aluminum, alcohols, fragrance additives and hydrocarbons and worse yet the chlorine bleaching process creates dioxins. Chlorine, in laundry, swimming pools, or in tampons, breaks down into a deadly chemical called dioxin. Dioxin is one of the most dangerous chemicals on the planet and literally a tablespoon [of it] would kill everyone on the planet,)...Dioxin has been proved to cause cancer and Endometriosis, fibroids (growths in the uterus), pelvic inflammatory disease, PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome).

The effects of the dioxin can be measured as much as 20 to 30 years after exposure, its the cumulative effect that is the cause for concern as it is said that the average woman can use as many as 11 to16 thousand tampons in her menstrual lifetime

Though manufacturers say it is not detectable levels and that they are now produced using elemental chlorine-free or totally chlorine free bleaching processes which does not produce dioxins in levels harmful to people, many study's say otherwise. The FDA has not conducted its own tests to draw definite conclusions one way or the other and has not called for testing of potential dioxin levels in tampons, as well it does not require package warnings. Fibers like Rayon cause tiny cuts and can embed pieces into the vaginal/cervical tissue.

A much safer alternative is using unbleached cotton tampons and pads, there are several on the market. Please read up on all the issues concerning what to use and make your own informed decision. While its true dioxins and chemicals are present in many things, why add another to the list of what is getting into your body, especially in such an intimate place, when there are other safer alternatives to use. Here are some helpful links with great info! There is also a list of good products and alternatives.

Good luck, hope some of this helped.

• Viola
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Well, the people above gave you tips on how to convince your mom, but it's not worth it to argue with your mom it will just cause fights and she probably won't give in. Here are some tips however for hiding your pads. So you don't want anybody to see you taking a pad out of your bag, who does? The pocket doesn't work so well a lot of the time because they stick out of the top, so here are some ideas.. Do you have boots? Uggs? Fuggs? Snow boots? Whatever type of boot you wear to school. Stick some in your boot so that they are always with you! If you are at the point where you carry a binder with you everywhere between classes then have a special place in your binder or get an acordian (sp?) folder and store them in one of the slots, then just take the binder into the stall with you. Neither of these work? Most schools/public places have a pad/tampon dispensing machine in their bathroom and they usually cost 25 or 50 cents. So bring some quarters with you and buy them there if you can afford to do so. Always have back-up though, incase they are out. One more idea.. Depending on the type of toilets your school has you might be able to hide a couple of pads back there at the beginning of the day, I doubt anyone will be sticking their hand back there. Otherwise there is usually a brown paper bag in the metal box where you put dirty products and you can put it outside of the paper bag (inbetween metal and bag) where it's not very noticable to people, or pick up the bag, put a few pads down on the bottom and place the bag back on top. People usually don't go snooping around in the stalls so those could work too. Hope I helped!

• 1 decade ago

I think they say to take it out after 8 hours but I can't be positive. Read the paper thats in the box when you buy them and it will tell you. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. Of course its always possible to get it, but TSS is pretty rare.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I would avoid wearing a tampon to bed. When you are horizontal you will probably find your flow is not as heavy and you can manage with just a pair of dark-coloured knickers and maybe a thin pad if you need one.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Hey there,

im not sure about the answer to your question....

but Ive always been told not to sleep while wearing a tampon. Maybe look into that?

• 1 decade ago

you should be fine. i do that too. ive never had anything wrong. but there is always the chance of getting that. you can read the back of the tampon box and it will tell you about it. but i still think you should be fine

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If I was you, I wouldn't take the risk. I would quit wearing tampons unless you can remember that you have one in.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

youre pushing your chances of getting it by sleeping with it. why not wear a pad at night! especially if you have light periods!

• 1 decade ago

Chances are very low, my best advise is to get the non scented, they have less chemicals than the scented ones.

• Alex
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It's only a problem if you leave it in for more than 8 hours, so 9 is not so risky.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.