aliroo06 asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 1 decade ago

If I have an older TV, and I am trying to connect my Macbook to it, should a mini to RCA cable work?

I want to be able to watch videos on my TV that are on my laptop. I was told to purchase a mini to RCA cable, but it won't connect. Is this the cable I need? If it is, any clue why it isn't working? Or, if it isnt the cable i need, what should I buy? Thanks!

2 Answers

  • jf
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    If you TV is a Standard Definition TV (a tube/CRT), its doable, but what a pain. A lot of people complained about this a while back. Here's a forum discussion on it,

    Essentially the deal is you need to get the Apple Mini Display Port to VGA adaptor. Then you need to buy a VGA to composite (or s-video) converter box of some kind. Then you finally feed the video to your TV.

    Mini Display Port to VGA -

    VGA to Composite -

    That's only video though. To do the audio you still need another cable. Likely what you want is a stereo mini to RCA cable. You put the stereo mini end into your headphone jack and then the RCA cable (red/white) into the slots associated with the video cable you used.

    Stereo Mini to RCA -

    If you have an HDTV with HDMI, get the Mini Display Port to HDMI adapter and the Stereo Mini to RCA cable. If you have an HDTV with VGA (like a PC port), get the Mini Display Port to VGA adaptor (see above), a VGA cable, and the Stere Mini to RCA cable.

    Mini Display Port to HDMI -

  • 1 decade ago

    Before I answer your question on what particular year did you purchase your TV. if not How old is your TV now?

    We have so many types of connectors and i believed for this era its thier is a very big possibility that you could found compatible connectors...please visit computer shops or might consider electricians or IT specialist if you know one.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.