Why it is sometimes when we(JW's)are out in the ministry some people we meet tell us"I'm not a jehovah witness?

Can anyone explain as to Why it is that sometimes when we(JW's)are out in the ministry some people we meet tell us "I'm not a jehovah witness"

Is it not implied by our visit/approach that we know this?

Not bashing or hating on anyone, just seriously wondering-it puzzles my friends and I.

For example, the other day I was doing "street" witnessing, went up to a bus stop where a young woman was sitting. I said, "hi, how are you?" and had the bible and some magazines. She immediately said, "I'm not a G hovah witness"

I said, oh, I know, just trying to share some thoughts from the bible and offer some bible magazines.

Then her bus came, and she didn't say anything else.

Now the ultimate question is: do people think we go out to look for other Jehovah's Witnesses? Does this seem logical?

Like if a Baptist person came to my door, I wouldn't tell them, oh, I'm not a Baptist, Maybe I would say what religion I am, or what is their purpose in visiting or something along the lines.

Please only serious answers, and by serious I do mean your best guess or maybe if you have said this yourself or know why one would say this.

Thanks.

Also if you're only answering this to dog us AKA slander/bash/be unkind etc.., please do refrain and hold back.

Thanks so much.

Hasta La Vista

@people saying some think JW's are pushy- really? I am not, if I think someone is willing to listen and reason on the scriptures then i try to further conversation-BUT, many people who say this to us don't even hear what we have to say yet, but hey, guess it's great they know who we are all over the earth. They spot us down the street, just by the way we dress and act, some say that's bad, I say it's good, still giving a witness.

I appreciate answerer's that are actually trying to answer the question. Thank you.

I'm just going to say that the first three answers don't seem to be trying to answer the question really..if you are being totally honest, fine, but really?

If that were the case, um, if it was me, I think I would choose something else to say.... because saying "I'm not your religion" doesn't really make sense when thought out.

Why? I know you're not my religion, if you were my religion, I would know and wouldn't be trying to show you a scripture from the bible..... *sigh*

@Debbie: Thanks for that bit at the end, appreciate it.

@Bianca: Wow, that's great you go door to door. Of course I've had worse than someone saying they're not a G hova witness. I'm not upset about it, just peculiar.

@DebbiebyDebbie: I don't see why mentioning you were of a certain religion would do anything, that's pretty common to hear. Also, it's better to be direct and clear than to anything else.

@I A O: hah, your answer made me smile. Hmm, interesting point... however, we come to talk about the Bible, so, hmm, Bible=Jehovah's Witness..not bad eh? *GRIN*

@BibleChooser: Well, I do not expect them to "follow my religion" my goal is to show people scriptures from the Bible on various topics, encouraging them to look into their own Bibles and examine Gods word themselves and decide for themselves whether they'd like to learn more in conjunction with what my religion teaches from the Bible. We're simply following Jesus' command and following in his footsteps.

Thank you for admitting: --"It is not the most obvious rejection - but maybe they're trying to be nice. They could say, "I'm not interested because I don't believe in what you believe" - or, they can be less antagonistic and simply say something that clearly *implies*, "I don't believe what you believe"--- I thank you for that.

@insomniac: Three women were at your door? Hm, are you sure they were JW? Also, sorry you felt hurt. Let me tell you though, that most JW's are very compassionate. When my sister went missing for a over 12 hours, 60 of our friends came out to help search and hand out flyers and I'm sure had it been some of them that you had asked, they would've taken some as long as it was not connected with any religious organization.

@Pretty: Thanks, you're sweet! Thanks for being kind.

• X
    Best Answer

In reality, it's the typical stupid, sloppy response from people who simply don't care to engage in a Bible discussion. That kind of response doesn't even make any sense......it implies we're out looking for other Witnesses. Come on....

1) Why it is sometimes when we(JW's)are out in the ministry some people we meet tell us"I'm not a jehovah witness?

Just guessing here - it's because they are not a Jehovah's Witness. Did I guess right?

2) Is it not implied by our visit/approach that we know this?

No. However, it *is* implied by their statement that they are not followers of your religion and, therefore, are not interested in hearing about it.

If someone comes to my house selling encyclopedias and I say, "I don't read encyclopedias" they would understand immediately that I was not interested.

3) Now the ultimate question is: do people think we go out to look for other Jehovah's Witnesses?

Well - naturally - some people wonder why you would expect them to follow your religion when they are not interested in following your religion. Naturally, such people might assume that the only people interested in the Jehovah's Witness religious beliefs would be Jehovah's Witnesses. Makes sense, right? Therefore, "I am not a Jehovah's Witness" (clearly, I would think) implies "I am not interested in learning what it is that Jehovah's Witnesses believe".

So, yes - it *does* seem logical. It is not the most obvious rejection - but maybe they're trying to be nice. They could say, "I'm not interested because I don't believe in what you believe" - or, they can be less antagonistic and simply say something that clearly *implies*, "I don't believe what you believe".

Jim, http://www.BibleSelector.com

• Pretty

I understand. It probably hurts your feelings. Some people don't have patients I guess. When the Jehovah witnesses come to my door, I usually let them in (if I am not too busy, or something). I believe in good

manners---my Momma taught me that way! :)

But, I usually let them in. I love to talk about the Bible! And I go to a Pentecostal Church, even though I don't agree with all their doctrine. There is Love in the church. Nice people. We feel at home there.

I just look at as an opportunity to make a new friend! :)

Any church, no matter the denomination are fine as long as no one is mean to another....Love is the main thing! Just be nice!

Love You! Cyndi

• Debbie

A long time ago a JW was offering me some literature and I turned her down and mentioned that I was a Seventh-day Adventist. She seemed offended. After that when JWs offered me literature, I smile and say, "No thank you."

In answer to your question maybe they just want to make it clear that they might be Christians too just not JWs. And it might be their way of saying that since they are not JWs, they are not interested. When they say that to you, just reply, "I did not think that you were and that is why I am just trying to share some thoughts from the bible with you and offer some bible magazines for you to read."

• Bianca

I am not JW, but I do witness to people, or go door to door spreading the gospel. Everyone has their beliefs and not everyone is open to the idea of hearing someone else tell them about their belief.

P.S. if the worse you have done is have someone tell you I am not a G ehova witness. Than you have had it easy.

I have been cursed at, doors slammed in my face, etc.

This is nothing to what Jesus suffered for us.

Source(s): Fundamental Baptist
  • jacqua

It is something to say to make you go away...I can tell you why I wouldn't open the door again to your people...you have an agenda, to convert and get your points with god....but when I needed real help and I asked for help when you offered, I thought you were a godsend and my child was missing. I asked if the three women at my door could pass out fliers from Missing Children on your rounds of my neighborhood as you did your other work, since I was all tied up with the police and TV news. The two younger teenage women said yes, we can help but their supervisor, who was waiting in the car for them, was the older woman they had to ask permission of and she said No way. I hope never to see another one of your JW people on my street ever, because I saw there wasn't one bit of compassion there.

Source(s): See revision above about the 2 women at the door and one in the car who supervised and told them what to do when they went out to ask her if they were allowed to help me...she said no, that's not our job.
  • It is possible that they believe that witnesses, like some other religions, go only to others of their own religion.

In that case it is just a simple misunderstanding.

So you might be able to politely explain that you are actually looking for non-witnesses, because you are interested on their beliefs on this subject ot that.

PS. I am not a JW, but my initials are JW. Does that count?

Jehovah's Witnesses are viewed by some people as being too pushy. They don't like it an as a result will be rude to you. I might be too if I didn't think before I said anything. That's just our sinful human nature. Some people are really not interested in a stranger talking to them about religion.

I know what you mean like we didn't already know.

But I think it is just a reply that naturally comes to their mind - but, when you can get them to chat with us then they suddenly seem to have a lot of harboured questions they like to ask. You often only need to break the ice and our visit can have such a warm conclusion.

You would think someone who professes to be of a faith would want to talk about it. Jesus never ceased the opportunity to teach even others of different beliefs. Like the example of the Samaritan woman at the well.

Showing neighbourly love and consideration of people even if not of your beliefs is a mark of a true Christian. Slamming the door on people is not.

• milly2

I get that occasionally, its funny. If they were Jehovah's Witnesses we wouldn't be there(although I sometimes make a friendly visit to a brother or sister if they live in the territory I'm working).

They don't know any better, they probably think it sounds good. Its just their way of getting rid of us.

I do explain that we are aware of that, and that we are following Jesus example in bringing the kingdom message to everyone.