What does the Confederate flag mean?

A lot of ppl think its racist, but our school has currently banned wearing them. What is the reason for this?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

During the first half of the 20th century the Confederate flag enjoyed renewed popularity. During World War II some U.S. military units with Southern nicknames, or made up largely of Southerners, made the flag their unofficial emblem. The USS Columbia (CL-56) flew a Confederate Navy Ensign as a battle flag throughout combat in the South Pacific in World War II. This was done in honor of the ship's namesake, the capital city of South Carolina, the first state to secede from the Union. Some soldiers carried Confederate flags into battle. After the Battle of Okinawa a Confederate flag was raised over Shuri Castle by a Marine from the self-styled "Rebel Company" (Company A of the 5th Marine Regiment). It was visible for miles and was taken down after three days on the orders of General Simon B. Buckner, Jr. (son of Confederate General Simon Buckner), who stated that it was inappropriate as "Americans from all over are involved in this battle". It was replaced with the flag of the United States.

The use of the flag by soldiers came under investigation after some African-American soldiers filed complaints.[citation needed]. By the end of World War II, the use of the Confederate flag in the military was rare.[16] However, the Confederate flag continues to be flown in an unofficial manner by many soldiers. It was seen many times in Korea, Vietnam, and in the Middle East.

_________

A lot of "red necks" and "hicks" have come to wear and display this flag and these people are often associated with racism. That could be a reason why your school banned it.

Source(s): wikipedia.org
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That is sheer stupidity to ban the Confederate flag because it is part of our nations history thus it should be forever etched in the minds of all Americans therefore should be kept to remember that there was such a time our nation was in a Civil War.

If people who say that owning a Confederate flag is racist and wrong because of the inhumane practice of slavery that it once represented. Then that shows that our nation is as ignorant as it has become because yes slavery was immoral, but it was the way of life back in that epoch. Even the Northerners who abolished slavery long before the Confederate states were still racist given the times. Also without the Civil War and the Confederate states seceding from the Union who is to say that we would one day be given states rights, like we have now? That is what the Confederacy wanted above all else and even though the Union was thankfully put back together the reality that the Confederacy split up laid the groundwork to state rights.

Anyways, the stars represent the the 11 Confederate states starting with the Motherland of Sucesion in South Carolina who led the way by means of fomer VP James C. Calhoun of South Carolina who was dubbed the Father of Sucesion during the Antebellum period. The other Confederate states were: Mississippi (home state of Confederate Pres. Jefferson Davis), Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Virginia (relinquished partial claim they had on Washington DC and made their capital in Montgomery, AL and Richmond, VA), Texas, Arkansas, Tennesse, and North Carolina. The other 2 stars symbolize Missouri and Kentucky, 2 border states that the Confederacy wanted to join the Confederacy. Missouri almost did that is until the Confederacy under the leadership of Gen. Leonidas Polk sent their troops there and ravaged the Missouri countryside forcing Missouri to enter the war on the side of the Union.

The red in the Confederacy signifies the blood spilt to ensure the survival of the Confederacy if they made it through the war and the blue which was the bars in the stars and bars of the confederacy also made up the "Southern Cross" or the Cross of St. Andrew. The patron saint of Scotland and many Southern plantation owners could trace their lineage back to Scotland, so it seemed only fitting.

• Liesl
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The Confederate flag was a symbol of the Confederate army of the South during the Civil War. Since then, its meaning has been somewhat misleading, and misused. Too often, people associate the flag with racism and slavery. In this unfortunate turn of events, even the state capitol in South Carolina voted to take down their flag out of response to cries of condoning racism. It is merely a symbol of Southern pride - nothing more. Though I currently live in the South, I come from the North, and hope someday people will realize their mistake.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

I am a Black American and a vet (U S Air Force). I have read bits and pieces of the Confederate Constitution; I like what I read. I agree with its intent. It is humane and honorable in its true format. Hate and ignorance has brought shame to this most impressive document and its most recognized symbol; the Confederate Flag. I believe the flag has earned its place in American history but, the Confederacy conceded in 1864 and became members of the Union and is a big part of the United States of America. I have much respect for what that flag truly stands for and am glad I took the time to find out it does not stand for hate. Fly the flag but, stand up for the true meaning of the Confederacy, it is a proud American heritage.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

During the Civil War it represented the Confederate States of America.

Today it represents southern pride. I live in the Deep South and no one here sees it as a racist symbol. Even the racists don't associate hate with the flag. It just symbolizes that they are proud of where they come from. Everyone seems to be proud of where they come from and no where in this world doesn't have a bloody history.

• 5 years ago

This flag belongs in a museum that tells the story of this great country.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Confederate Flag stands for individuality and resistance to conformity.

In other words:

FREEDOM !!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well now it only means to be a rebel, and that you don't trust the government.

People need to stop living in 1955, things have changed. Very few people use it as a racism flag.

• 4 years ago

Its a symbol of hate today. If it s part of our history, then display it in a museum but have some compassion for folks who thinks its racist.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.