Are dogs pack animals?

Many studies have been done on the subject and I'm wondering who here really knows the truth. I would appreciate answers backed by science, experience and proof, not public opinion. Bottom line, it needs to make sense.
Thanks for helping me with this little experiment. Have a great day!
Update: Before I answer back, I would like to post a link with multiple references to scientific study I think you'll find interesting.

http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/images/stories/Position_Statements/dominance%20statement.pdf
Update 2: Someone said that there really is no way to judge wild dogs that were never domesticated, although multiple studies have already come out on the feral dogs of India (which have been feral for over 14,000 years continuously) as well as the feral dogs of Romania, Bangkok, the Cook Islands, and even Hawaii! The... show more Someone said that there really is no way to judge wild dogs that were never domesticated, although multiple studies have already come out on the feral dogs of India (which have been feral for over 14,000 years continuously) as well as the feral dogs of Romania, Bangkok, the Cook Islands, and even Hawaii! The results were that they do not form packs. They may come together towards a magnet like a food resource or a female in heat, but once the magnet is gone, they part their separate ways. Quite a contrast to wolves, who form a pack consisting of a nuclear family; a breeding pair and the offspring, who by the age of two (maturity) leave the pack and star their own to avoid interbreeding. [ You were right John. :) ] I think Dragon has some awesome critical thinking skills! = ) But T.J.s got it. He’s absolutely right. Dogs are have been removed from wolves for over 15,000 years and our hand in husbandry has certainly changed their behavior.
Update 3: Everyone likes to quote that they are relatives to wolves, and they certainly are, but so are dingoes, foxes and many other canids who do not live in packs. You know, back in the 70s no one thought of dogs as pack animals, then a scientific study on wolves came around and the pack theory for dogs caught like... show more Everyone likes to quote that they are relatives to wolves, and they certainly are, but so are dingoes, foxes and many other canids who do not live in packs. You know, back in the 70s no one thought of dogs as pack animals, then a scientific study on wolves came around and the pack theory for dogs caught like wildfire even though the studies had been done on wolves. There is so much evidence against pack theory, but you know these “Walt Disney’s Head is in Cryogenic Status” myths like to stick around. Another super recent study done on wolves, dogs and even human babies shows that dogs have more in common with a 10 month old child than their cousins the wolves = ) in regards to independence.
Update 4: Thanks everyone, I just wanted to see if anyone would actually quote anything other than “dogs come from wolves,” which scientifically is sound, but um, we come from furry primates and although some of us, I’m sure, still enjoy flinging poo at others, most of us have evolved in a different direction. = ) Thanks... show more Thanks everyone, I just wanted to see if anyone would actually quote anything other than “dogs come from wolves,” which scientifically is sound, but um, we come from furry primates and although some of us, I’m sure, still enjoy flinging poo at others, most of us have evolved in a different direction. = )
Thanks again = )