Kellayyy asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Is there a cheap pet insurance...?

That covers shots?

I have to get my puppy shots And I was wondering if I could get a cheap insurance that could cover that?

I live in Ohio if that makes a difference?

Thanks!!

Favorite Answer

Pet insurance is best for unexpected accidents/illnesses. Sort of like car insurance, if you wanted it to cover a $40 oil change, the insurance company would charge you at least $41-- routine coverage for pets (like basic shots and check ups) will cost you more through the insurance company than just paying for it yourself.

Pet insurance is a great idea for other unexpected things however. I have my dog insured through Trupanion just in case she gets hurt or sick leaving me with a $1000 vet bill. They are a great company because they are fair and straight forward. They also don't have any claim limits or annual limits, you should check them out.

You can buy your puppy's shots from a tractor supply or feed store. The only thing that you can't give him yourself is the rabies vaccine and heart worm pills. Everything else can be bought cheap. Puppy shots are about $7 a piece. Give the pup three rounds in 2 week intervals then one every year as a booster. You can also get dewormers and the kennel cough vaccine. If you can't give your dog a shot the I believe PetCo has some kind of insurance that is reasonable. Good Luck.

If you go with any pet insurance, I'd check out VPI. You need to check the cost of the vaccines with what you'll pay for insurance and how much they'll cover and see if it's even worth it. You are sometimes better off puting the money you would have spent on insurance into a account just for your pet and use it when needed.

Source(s): Vet Tech 9 yrs
  • JOAN W

You still have to pay upfront then file so ins. co. reimburses you if it is covered. You are much better off setting a saving account & automatically saving a certain amount aside every month. That way you will at least earn tiny amount of interest(these days) & spend the money how you see fit & not by their rules & excuses to not cover certain expenses. You can go a low cost vaccination clinics like the ones they hold at Petco.

• ?

I recommend one to visit this web site where you can compare rates from the best companies: http://insurequote.us/index.html?src=2YAgvmvuTP35

RE :Is there a cheap pet insurance...?

That covers shots?

Thanks!!

Follow 7 answers

I have found them all to be fairly compatable in price, but the one that comes to mind first is VPI (Veterinary Pet Insurance). I have dealt with clients who have this insurance and they seem pretty happy with it.

I think PetSmart has their own insurance, you may wanna find out if its worth it - but then you have to go to a Petsmart all the time. I guess it depends how often you will be going in.

Go to your veterinarian and ask.

Please answer mine, too.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200710...