Should I have my dog’s spleen removed or let her be?

My 13 year old Whippet woke up Tuesday very limp and lethargic and would not eat. She didn’t eat well the day before and I thought maybe she was weak from that. I waited until the next day and she did not improve and took her to the vet. They found out she has a growth on her spleen through an ultrasound. A needle... show more My 13 year old Whippet woke up Tuesday very limp and lethargic and would not eat. She didn’t eat well the day before and I thought maybe she was weak from that. I waited until the next day and she did not improve and took her to the vet. They found out she has a growth on her spleen through an ultrasound. A needle biopsy revealed that it did not appear to be cancerous but needle biopsies can be wrong. She does have a couple of what her felt believes are cancerous growths on her body and says she may eventually die from those but how long is not known. My dog’s vet is on vacation (of course) so the vet who did the biopsy recommended having her spleen removed within the next few days and said it is a simple surgery and quick recovery. Now, my dog seems to be back to herself. She is eating and active but it doesn’t mean all is well. The vet said that her spleen can burst and she could bleed to death internally. The surgery will cost up to $2,500. $200 bucks less if I don’t get the spleen checked for cancer. I am trying to figure out what to do.

My options:

1) Leave her alone knowing she may die a painful death or if it is cancerous let her succumb to cancer.

2) Go ahead and have the spleen surgery knowing that it could be cancerous and she can die from that anyway. Or because the biopsy said that it isn't cancerous and removing it could help her to live longer.

I think this issue has been ongoing. She has had a loss of appetite about once a month for a few years now but I always thought it was because she ate something bad in the yard. Now I believe it could be her spleen (that is what the vet said). I just wish her current vet was not on vacation. I really trust him and wish I could get his opinion but he is gone until the 15th and that may be too late.

I just don’t want her to suffer and want what is best for her. She still thinks she is a puppy at times. Also to note, Whippets have a pretty long lifespan. She could have a few good years in her. Any advice?