Can I use half soil and half orchid mix to repot my Christmas cactus?

I know they're epiphytes like orchids, and I have a ton of fresh orchid mix. Can I use this mixed with soil to keep it better drained?

• Glory
    Favorite Answer

All of my Christmas Cactus are grown in soil.. I have always known that they are epiphytes but never gave it any thought..

If yours is in soil now you could experiment with out damage to you original plant by trying cuttings in orchid mix.. I may give that a try too..

I have take Bromeliads out of soil into orchid mix with bad results.. It didn't kill my plants but they didn't do as well as in just soil alone, maybe mixing with the soil will work..

Good luck

Seems like the fresh cow poo would burn it.

My experience with them doesn't call for any soil because orchids grow on trees sort of like moss does. The wind carries them on to other trees if I remember correctly.

Sorry if I'm wrong.

You can buy cactus compost in B&Q for 2.99

Then you have peace of mind, a healthy plant, and some hanging around for other cactus/succulents for next time

I've always grown them in potting soil (miraclegro).

well of course you can i had the same problem i tried it and it works but i also put fresh cow poo in it

Source(s): experience