Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

Can the turn around in the economy be attributed to the stimulus bill?

With just a little less than 90bil of the 787bil package already spent, can the recovery really be credited to the bill, or is it the market righting itself? Unemployment is still rising, almost 10% now, what is it going to take in spending to actually create new jobs and lower unemployment? When the economy is "better", where is the excess in funds going to go?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • IceT
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

What recovery?! Please show me where any country has spent their way out of a recession! Do some research on Japan's lost decade which took place in the 1990's for the most recent example of the failure of stimulus as a way out of a recession. They had a recession that was caused by almost the exact same circumstances as ours and they tried the stimulus solution which caused their recession to last more than 10 years!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_asset_price_...

http://www.aei.org/outlook/27568

It should be noted that during Japan's lost decade they did get a mild recovery which lasted a couple of years before it all crashed again which resulted in a much deeper and and longer lasting recession!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • mark r
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I think a good portion of what is occurring in the market place is due to the stimulus. Basically, a cash infusion along with stimuli to promote major spending initiatives.

Unemployment, to a great extent, is still managed by big business, which in my mind currently is a reflection of a global economy. Corporate America shipped jobs and education to other nations with cheaper economies of scale. Will this come back? No one knows for sure, but at least we are aware of it and knowledge is power. Three of the most powerful industries in America; financial, auto, and healthcare, will have to restructure their operations and that will take time.

I think small business will be the catalyst to employment growth, and on the proverbial financial food chain, they will be one of the last to reap the financial benefits. Just the way the economy is structured, and I don't think we will be on this road again. If I were an IT professional I would be thinking that around the first of the year things will be rosy.

I really don't know where the excess funds will go, and all of the above is one man's opinion.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sorry, but there hasn't been a real turnaround yet. And many experts fear that we are likely to have a double dip recession. They say the next "dip" will be worse than the first one. You can thank the ruling elite for all of this - they are completely responsible for it.

We need to start resisting the New World Order as much as we possibly can or we are doomed.

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

First off, it hasnt even been 9 months since the bill was passed. Second, it takes time to set up infra-structure to plan out how and where the money is to be spent. Trust me, there will be NO excess. Spending is about to sky rocket. But these things take time if you are going to be efficient about it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

spending money can make money, but unless we change our whole mindset and the way we do business as usual, we are gonna be in the same leaky old boat. Now is the time to make the hard choices, to get off fossil fuel dependance, to stop polluting, to reform health care, etc etc. So some jobs are lost and some "economic growth" doesnt happen. That is what the stimulous money is for, to bridge that gap while we move onward instead of staying in the same old pyramidal scheme we are in now.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Ted, i don't think of that it will help our economic gadget, yet i could desire to ask what could it value to get you chuffed returned? to boot to A.S.S. contributions it variety of feels that shall we get some money raised to deliver somebody over there and slap a grin onto your face! in case you quite need to speak economics however i think of that we've yet to work out what the final printing of the stimulus money and bail out money is going to do to our inflation fee and the devaluation of the greenback and that mixed with the destiny tax burden is what makes stimulus money a foul theory. i could gladly spend yet another stimulus examine however if one have been provided, why the hell not this is not as though the government is somewhat going to ask the simple individual what we predict of they could desire to do with our money. you could desire to understand that your unhappy state has thoroughly trumped my each and daily concerns for what fool we are electing president, our economic gadget, or maybe what i'm having for lunch! does not you adore to understand.... thank you for the message, now i will pass and characteristic my enchiladas! i wish you realize that the goose meant not something to me!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

How can the economy improve when unemployment is rising.Any improvement is because debt has been eased but at the end of it all a recession has to be worked out of, not bought out of otherwise the black hole will become a black crater

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The economy will and would have corrected on its own. That seems obvious since very little of the money has been spent. I think the plan was to spend the balance of the money on pet programs they did not want to disclose.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What turnaround? What recovery?. We are still losing jobs. Commercial real estate is getting ready to be the next shoe to drop. Our deficit is astronomical.We are toast.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Jobs for every capable American is key. This is our opportunity to get it right. New technologies to power our country, wind, solar, bio-fuels can create thousands of new jobs, not to mention ridding ourselves of foreign dependence. Reform, reform. Get rid of the old tired way of doing business. The status quo does'nt get it any more.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.