Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why do almost %70 of the countries of the world have a star/sun in their flag?

Algeria, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cape Verde, CAR, Chile, China, Christmas Island, Comoros, Cook Islands, Cuba, Djibouti, Ethiopia, EU, Ghana, Greenland, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guinea-Bissua... The list goes on and I only got to the letter 'G'!..

What's the reason behind this symbolism? People wanted to express their wish to reach the stars, or somehin else? Also, the fact that the majority of the countries that have this spec are Asian and African ones didn't pass my attention. Does it have something to do with religion.. I'm guessing some of them do, like the Israel flag.

But to sum it up, what say you?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Kyle M
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I would guess that it has to do with how the stars were ingrained into ancient society. They based almost all of their major decisions on what they saw in the sky with the stars. Many even thought they determined what happened.

In the American Flag, for example, the stars are meant to symbolize constellations (no particular one though because the pattern changes when states join the union.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

In all certainty, the sole reason China, Russia or the united states of a grant a dang proper to the Arab international is that we decide on their oil. component clean, oil is the spurring rationalization for any and all action there. Hillary Clinton is a stunning lady that has clean ideals of strategies the united states of a could desire to be coping with the middle east and clearly diverse international places produce diverse ideals. there's a great difference of opinion, no extra beneficial, no a lot much less. I agree that the wars began by way of Bush have been erroneous and probable criminal once you're person-friendly approximately it. there grew to become no reasoning to them. He exploited the panic and terror of the persons after 9/11 tragedy to bypass to war. as quickly as you're making the persons scared sufficient they factors you any skill to journey take care of decrease back. they'll void any stunning they could desire to journey take care of. Hillary did not initiate the wars there. the united states of a is pulling out of Iraq and with somewhat success they are going to be leaving Afganistan. all of it comes suitable right down to international places attempting to snatch the supplies of decision sovereign international places. the united states of a has to clean up our own united states before we pass out into the international and straighten it out. there's a lot to do here and all human beings is suffering for the politics of all of it. Charity starts off at domicile. for the period of how, your intense use of capitalization negates your message and turns it suitable right into a rant.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I suspect that it dates from times before modern astronomy when people believed that stars (other than the sun) controlled the destinies of people and nations.

• 1 decade ago

People have always worshiped the Sun and the Stars why should this come to any surprise?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.