Would you consider me Harvard material?

OK, Harvard's not the only school I intend on applying to or am aspiring to attend. My top choice is actually Cornell. I'm a junior in high school and I'm starting the college application process early. Based on the stats below, would you deem me as 'Harvard' material?

1. GPA = ~4.2

2. Courses: All honors and 5 APs by the end of my high school career

3. ECs = Health Careers Club, Varsity Winter & Spring Track, Seekers Bible Study

4. Community Service = Tutoring Center, Nursing Home, 4-H, created a Spanish program at a local Boys & Girls Club, one Music program at a nearby elementary school, and an English program abroad in Costa Rica

5. Honors/Awards = Congressional Award, National Honor Society, President's Volunteer Service Award, Prudential Spirit of Community Award, President's Challenge Award

6. SAT/AP/ACT/SAT II scores = N/A (I did not yet begin my junior year)

7. Ethnicity/Gender = African American female

8. Employment = Started own business teaching music theory and piano to children at a local Boys & Girls Club, Bank of America Student Leader

9. Hook(s) = My essay, Congressional Award, Leadership Roles

My biggest concern right now is preparing for the SAT/ACT and what SAT II subject tests I should look into taking.

My three main questions:

1. How would you suggest I prepare for the SAT/ACT? [Expensive tutoring is out of the question. I have started reviewing from SAT prep books but it is difficult for me to stay on track.] SAT/ACT scores are crucial in the application process. Any ideas for a unique way I could study thoroughly for these standardized tests?

2. What are three SAT II subject tests I should consider taking? Which ones would require less preparation?

3. Based on my stats. so far [see above], would you consider me 'Harvard' (or Ivy League) material? Are there any suggestions for things I could add or remove from these stats?

Sorry for the many questions but a thorough answer to any one receives 10 points!

Favorite Answer

Your credentials are outstanding, and the fact that you are a minority is also a "hook." The thing with colleges like this is, you really have to stand out, not only from students in your school, but from everyone applying for the school. I had a classmate (not exactly a friend) whose great-grandfather was one of the last surviving veterans of World War I, had survived leukemia, had an unweighted 4.0 GPA (they don't count weighted), a perfect ACT score and an SAT of something like 2305. He founded a cancer awareness society in our community, and was featured on national TV to talk about his story. He applied for Harvard and got an interview, but didn't get accepted. And as far as your test prep, it looks like you're trying to find the ones that will require the least amount of work to prepare for. Admissions offices and recruiters will recognize this, as they spend their 7-5's researching trends like this. My advice is to find something you're truly adamant about, and do it for yourself. Don't be flashy just to impress the schools, as they will likely recognize this too. I'm certainly not saying you can't do it; like I said your credentials are already outstanding, and you'll probably get an incredible score on any of the tests. Things like the congressional award are good, as it is a nationally recognized award. I'm just saying that these schools look for students that will make the school look good for accepting them. Harvard has a rich tradition and history, and to be accepted there, you have to be someone who will augment that history, not to mention, be able to afford the $32,000 tuition and $14,000 room and board.

• Bill

Provided your unweighted GPA is at least 3.8 (forget weighted GPA's - they are useless for schools like Harvard) and your SATS are over 2200 than I would say you have about a 10% chance compared to the average of 5%.

I suggest you prepare for the SAT by taking a SAT prep guide out of the library.

The SAT 2 tests best for you depends on your academic strengths. Take them in the subjects you are best at.

Thanks

Bill

I would say you have a shot with those great credentials. Why Harvard though? Do you really want to put that much pressure on yourself? There's plenty of great schools out there. Choosing a school is a tough decision, but don't kill yourself trying to get in to the "best". Just keep your head on straight when you get to college (wherever that may be), and you'll end up with great career opportunities no matter where you choose.

Well you would definitely get into a good school, just remember there are many good schools cutting back on enrollment even private colleges like Harvard that have billions of dollars in excess funds aren't immune.

Debbie, only Harvard will determine whether you are Harvard material. You should consult your guidance counselor to find out how you rate academically. This section seems to be becoming a site for high school students to highlight their academic achievements and accolades. Its something to be proud of, however, using this to ask if you will get into a particular school is a little pointless because we really can't determine that. You will compete against thousands of student applications when applying to a school of that magnitude and many other schools as well. It sounds like you have achieved a lot so I'm sure you would be a very viable candidate. Good luck to you.

are you applying to the university of yahoo answers or harvard? harvard will ONLY know, unless you want university of yahoo answers admission consent? dont worry, we got a great basketball team...ALL iternet three times in a row, and no partying is aloud! we accpect anyone and everyone! come let me give you a tour of the browser

• ?

march to your guidance counselor. if you don't like her see another counselor or one in another school. good luck. I don't like harvard ,personally.

• USMC

not a chance.