tinted windows ticket is the dealer responsible?

I bought a car about 3 months ago and about two days ago i got a fix it ticket for tinted windows...easy a $25 dollar ticket i can pay that. But i ask the cop i thought the tint was legal since i bought it like that and he said to take it back to the dealer because they shouldn't have sold the car like that because its not abiding with the law. So i called the dealer and they were so rude to me and told me me that they weren't liable for sh*t. It wasnt a big deal until they practically yelled at me so know im mad! what can i do to deal with this?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Max
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

no actually they are not liable.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Texas
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Different states have different tint laws, and I know some tints considered acceptable in Arizona are illegal in California, so if someone were to sell an Arizona car in California, they might later find it doesn't pass a police check.

The dealer "should" be "responsible" and notice this sort of problem, and be experienced with how to avoid it... but also 3 months is a fair amount of time, if it was within a week or two you might have better leverage.

As it is, just do what is cheap and easy, pay the fine, pull out the tint, get an officer to sign off, and if you don't like the dealer now, just don't do business with them again.

Of course, another approach with the dealer is to MAKE SURE YOU GET THEIR NAME of the person who is rude to you, and then SPEAK TO THEIR MANAGER. Of course if it is the Manager being rude, maybe it is a lost cause, but if it is some noob that doesn't realize that the customer is king, you can let it be known. You may also report the business to the better business bureau or something like that, if you speak to management and they still are not receptive.

• Marion
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

It would depend on the laws in your state or the municipal ordinances in your city. In Florida, the dealership is not allowed to sell a vehicle with illegal tint on it. It is considered to be improper and unsafe equipment. The dealership is supposed to remove the tint before reselling the vehicle. However, you can find many cars for sale at lots that still have the illegal tint installed. Why? Because buyers like it, think it makes the car look good, etc. Anything to sell a used car, right?? Find out in your area if it is o.k. or not to sell a car with illegal tint. Look online for your state statutes (in the motor vehicle section) or if your city has a general help number call that and ask them. If it is, I would advise your Dad to take his car, receipt of sale, and copy of the ticket back to the dealership. I would speak with someone higher up and explain the situation. I would suggest (if they don't suggest it) that they should take the illegal tint off and reinstall legal tint. Maybe take along a copy of the statute where it discusses selling cars with illegal tint would help too. Meanwhile, what to do about the ticket? I don't know about in your state, but in Florida there is an option to fix improper equipment (like illegal tint). If you fix it (remove it or install proper tint) than the fine is greatly reduced. Again, I don't know about in your state, but in Florida the good news is that it is not a 'moving violation' which means that points are not assessed against your license. Basically, you could pay the ticket, not change your tint, and keep your fingers crossed that you won't get pulled over and get another fine.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The dealer is not at fault in this situation. Tint is only legal when bought from the factory....big word being factory. The dealer has every right to sell a vehicle that is not legal for road use.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

responsible nope buying th ecar was your choice if it was used car tint was added after then its wasnt on dealer but you an dif car was new stil might not be dealer problem either since you brought it .. type into search box how to remove window tint go to a tint shop ask them if its legal or not if so fight in court

• LTV
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Unfortunately, the dealer is not liable. It isn't illegal to possess a vehicle with illegally tinted windows. It isn't illegal to tint windows darker than what is legal. It is illegal to operate a vehicle on a public roadway with illegally tinted windows. Anyone who drives your car on a public roadway could receive a ticket, including the dealer.

• 1 decade ago

Go to the dealership where you bought it with all paperwork with you then call the police. Tell the dispatcher exactly whats going on. The cops should show up to explain the law to them.

If the cop said that it is the fault of the dealership then the law is on your side here. This solution will cost you nothing as taking them to court will cost you a lot.

• Laura
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

You poor thing. Pay the ticket. Remove the tint. Done.

• 1 decade ago

call the better business bureau or something.

i would bug the s*** out of those people until i got what i wanted.

eventually they'll get tired of it.

or sue them

that always seems to get some panties in a twist.

• 1 decade ago

Speak to the manager at the dealership.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

take your ticket to court and fight it. the makers of automobiles are responsible for knowing the laws on window tiny.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.