Why don't false rape charges justify the means, shouldn't deterrence be used in these situations?

I heard the statistic that more the half of the rape claims are deemed false. My question would be why haven't STRICT penalties been set down regarding false rape claims. I feel a slap on the wrist or a fine does not justify the means where as a man is facing 10 years or more in prison and a ruined... show more I heard the statistic that more the half of the rape claims are deemed false. My question would be why haven't STRICT penalties been set down regarding false rape claims. I feel a slap on the wrist or a fine does not justify the means where as a man is facing 10 years or more in prison and a ruined reputation.

My question is why are the courts so forgiving about false rape allegations (if proven to be false) shouldn't the courts throw the book and order restitution. I feel that a women can claim rape in this modern day, have it proven that shes lying and not face any where near enough recourse for what she's done.

Your thoughts?

I say this because of all the vindictive women out there who get cheated on or have their reasons who think they have a way of getting even. I think if the penalties for lying were harsh enough this wouldn't even be an option for her and the amount of false rape claims would drastically reduce.
Update: You want a source? You got it!

http://www.mediaradar.org/research_on_false_rape_allegations.php
Update 2: "There is also the statistic that more than half of real rapes go unreported. To make women fear that if their allegation is not believed they will be sent to prison would drastically increase THAT statistic" I don't think so, obviously the bar would be VERY high with regards to proving intent... show more "There is also the statistic that more than half of real rapes go unreported. To make women fear that if their allegation is not believed they will be sent to prison would drastically increase THAT statistic"

I don't think so, obviously the bar would be VERY high with regards to proving intent beyond a shadow of a doubt.

The ends don't justify the means...
Update 3: False charges are prosecuted all the time you say... What sentences and or fines are they looking at?

Nothing in comparison to the man with a ruined reputation and a potential 10+ year conviction.

This is where detterence comes in and should be applied.
Update 4: Making up crap? Damn how about you google rape claims more then half false... see how many results you get.

It's amazing how many people will disprove a theory without actually knowing or researching on their own.
Update 5: "Another issue with these women is that they usually have some form of mental defect to be so vindictive and try and ruin someone in that manner"

Under that logic murderers have a mental defect when killing someone since it's not a norm, there must be something wrong with them.
Update 6: "bitch1 answer" all of your remarks are done so with extreme ignorance... I just want you to know. You make it seem as though it's ok for a women to make a false claim but she must have problems. You make it seem like she's paid her price because "she payed court costs" while the man... show more "bitch1 answer" all of your remarks are done so with extreme ignorance... I just want you to know.

You make it seem as though it's ok for a women to make a false claim but she must have problems. You make it seem like she's paid her price because "she payed court costs" while the man was facing a long term imprisonment.

No Mam, No the ends to not justify the means.
Update 7: "Harsh penalties have failed to deter murderers and rapists so what makes you think it would prevent false rape claims"

Yet the foundation of the CJ system is based off detterence, saying it doesn't work is a cop out since deterrence is being utilized in every aspect of the justice system.