Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

what exactly is INDUSTRIAL music?

i ve been listening to nin, kmfdm, skinny puppy, throbbing gristle, etc

but still. how is industrial music described. it sounds like machine like aggresive beats. charecteristics, definition,

your definition not wikipedia thanks tho

Favorite Answer

Hmmmm someone with the same name as me again - small industrialized world, great question I must say by the way.

I've been into Industrial myself for a long time. As you can probably tell with my current avatar and song title name, I like one of the original experimental bands - Chrome a lot. This is a question me and Migh have pondered for quite a while, but the more information comes up to learn more about it, the more it seems to lead to more information to seek out.

I think Beatles Maniac has a good point that some people may have different opinions so sometimes it can be hard to say. Some people have made a point to say it's got negativity or dark lyrics always in it, but this actually is not always the case, there's Industrial bands who have dark lyrics that sometimes will have songs that are still Industrial, but are not negative sounding tunes and sometimes Industrial bands will do covers of songs with lyrics that aren't negative. That's not to say though, that bands claiming to be Industrial who puts out bubble gum sounding pop crap is Industrial though.

As for getting back to people having different opinions on it though, that can be split into 2 camps - people who haven't heard much of it yet - or - people who just only like certain sound in Industrial only and never cares to venture outside of the sound they like.

Myself and others who are naturally curious like Migh and me, want to know more especially with knowing there's more to learn. What people need to consider is know what bands are Industrial and then taking a look at what bands/singers & yes also music composers that influenced them as well.

One thing people should ponder too is what are the divisions between Noise and Industrial? There are Noise/Grunge bands like Sonic Youth that aren't Industrial, but they've used samples & looping occasionally & worked with Electronic Noise artists like Merzbow who many could interpret as Industrial, but Merzbow has been defined more as Noise.

My point with the last sentence is you can more easily tell what bands are Industrial and Noise than other bands where the differences are more blurred and grey in defining. I can say Industrial was influenced by Noise composers, Jazz, Lounge & Cocktail music which is more than just jazz, but on the other hand certain jazz artists have expanded on the meaning of jazz as well so there's another blurry & grey area, plus Industrial has been influenced by Punk and throughout the years has incorporated Metal into it as well. Which by the way, a genre called No Wave I would consider to be a crossover genre between Punk and Industrial and Noise. The earliest known No Wave artist I believe is a band called Suicide which people at first defined as Punk and then later people labeled them Industrial, but as it turned out they are most likely THE originators of No Wave. Oh and No Wave most definitely isn't the pop sound of New Wave. Some people hear the name and get them confused, but No Wave definitely is definitely NOT the far more radio friendly New Wave.

To define Industrial, what you need to do is be able to have an open mind for the different sounds of various Industrial bands and it's various definitions and influences, but keep in mind that it's easily not pop music by far. One needs to examine what it might be about it that separates it from being the same as Noise music. To define it what you need to do is find all the information there is about it and go over the information with people, analyze it and it wouldn't hurt to also have some of the Industrial music artists knowledge and opinions about it either. Then as I said, analyze and discuss the information such as what's going on now and even if some conclusions are made, leave the possibility of room for more input of knowledge on the subject open, because there's so much information to decipher, assimilate, calculate, analyze, discuss, test and to make conclusions of the findings that it's at this point easy to say that a conclusion made could very well have much of the facts not taken in and considered. When you think about it music, especially Industrial and other Experimental forms/genres is like mathematic and science including the engineering aspect of it. With that fact alone, there's much to be considered and humans do make mistakes in science unfortunately because we are still of course merely humans with limits and emotions sometimes, besides exhaustion and missing information can interfere with our cognitive abilities. I bring this up because with comparing it to science and mathematics, one needs to remember a formula for circles that a scientist named archimedes came with called Pi which one needs to realize doesn't have more of straight line definition for it - it's a number that keeps going on as in circular. So, my point is until people can keep an open mind about the different sounds and different definitions thus far of Industrial, they're only getting part of the picture so the definitions will be flawed and missing the whole picture. Believe me, I would love to have an easy definition of it, because that would be so much simpler, but the truth of the matter is, until someone is open minded about all of its sounds & has all the facts and has tested one's ideas about what defines it with others who are also open minded, a person can't say for sure about what exactly Industrial music is. I know me and Migh & some others here are definitely open minded and we definitely have a desire to know what defines it too. I don't think any one person can say they have the exact definition on it - at least just yet anyway.

Industrial music is an experimental music style, often including electronic music, that draws on transgressive and provocative themes.

The term was coined in the mid-1970s to describe Industrial Records artists. Early industrial music often featured tape editing, stark percussion and loops distorted to the point where they had degraded to harsh noise.

Some Industrial bands:

Skinny Puppy

Neon Synthesis

Filter

Flesh Field

Crossbreed

The Clay People

NIN (sorta)

White Zombie

X-Fusion

etc...

BTW: Skinny Puppy's great haha

Source(s): Billy

I don't think you'll get the same definition from any two people that are fans of it.

I also think it is different depending on what part of the World it is from.

This is probably not very helpful. Doro's MACHINE II MACHINE has been called industrial. I guess it's like grunge but faster??

• Dan M

Here you go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_music#Char...

I'm a fan myself. I like those bands you mentioned.

• migh

i'm still not completely sure lol! take a look at this... http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AjocL...

Source(s): *edit* then again, take a look at this interesting q from Armageddon as well... http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200908...