Can someone explain the difference between these two...?

Christians during colonial times using the Bible to justify slavery.

Christians today using the Bible to justify homophobia.

Best Answer

No difference - I remain hopeful that homophobia will become as distasteful in our society as slavery is.

The date.

I think I am correct in saying that the Bible would be used on both sides of the slavery issue.

Is it news to you that there are people who use the Bible to justify wrong things? Does it strike you as strange that some Christians don't use the Bible to justify anything except trusting God?

Just as Christianity wasn't the only thing driving Slavery, it is not the only thing driving homophobia.

And for what it's worth, without Christian Abolitionists, Slavery very well may have gone on a LOT longer than it did.

Just saying...the issue goes a lot deeper, and you're just using the surface of one problem to point out someone else's flaws. I find i more productive to look within for the answers, but hey...to each his own.

EDIT: @2nd in Command, RE "Now the problem is, they were supposed to let the slaves go after 7 years, and they didn't. THIS is what made slavery wrong. :)"

Are you kidding me? I mean, and I'm sure you get this all the time, but, are you mad?

First it isn't homophobia. I am not afraid of any homosexual or their sexual practices. It is having a standard to determine right and wrong and just as it is wrong to lie it is wrong for the homosexual to perform their sexual practices.

The difference between the two is the former doesn't have any biblical foundation. There is nowhere in the bible that mentions a race being less than another. Homosexuality is mentioned in the bible 3 times if I remember first in the Sodom and Gommorah story, second in the Mosaic law, and third in the new testament.

• ?

No difference. For Xians the Bible exists to justify "sins" performed by xians and to point out and punish "sins" committed by real people.

The time period. Other than that it's just irrational people using a plagiarized book of contradictions to somehow justify stupid behavior towards others because of hatred, fear and selfishness.

The Bible does not justify slavery.

English must not be your first language. Go get a dictionary of the English language, and look up these words, and see if they mean the same thing: "Disagree", "Hate", and "fear".

The Bible is totally against homosexuality. I totally disagree with the homosexual lifestyle. I neither "fear" NOR "hate" them! But you obviously lack the higher thinking skills required to understand these differences!

This kind of straw man is sadly pathetic, and it sounds like YOU are the one with the problem! Are you actually a secret Christian, or wish you were a Christian? Are you "Christophobic"? After all, who's attacking who here?

The first group lived in colonial times, while the other group is modern.

Slavery is wrong, Hate towards Homos is wrong. But being against sin is not wrong. God said he did not come for the saved he came for the lost, and his first commandment is to love not hate, but also not to compromise.

Loving someone means sharing the news of Salvation, sharing Gods grace and his mercy, praying for them that they change. Never condemning them to hell, but telling them truth that we all need the blood of Jesus and we need to let go of our sinful ways. A Christians job is to bring a message to bring change to one who is on the path to destruction. I believe that many people say they are Christians but do not have any clue of what Gods word says. To love, to have faith, to bless, to be kind to your enemies. There is a purpose for love because when you give it away, it only does good. So yea, the ones who are hateful and mean, if they are not like Christ how can they say they are Christians- to be Christ-like.

Christians means to be Christ-like.

How is that bad, he healed sick people, and did miracles. No one wants to go to hell, so they hate him, so don't and get saved.