If they made Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead a movie who would cast?

Howard Roark: Christian Bale persona but the looks wouldn't work at all, Clive Owen maybe, Adrian Brody, Eric Stoltz is perfect apperance wise, if the cahracter was young Jamie Bell would work, dare I say Robert Pattinson, Cillian Murphy

Dominique Francon: my first thought was Angelina Jolie, I just can't thin of anyone else who could pull it off, I don't think she could even get it 100%. Charlize Theron maybe, Rachel Weisz, Jennifer Connelly

Ellsworth Toohey: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Michael Caine, Kevin Spacey, Martin Short, Johnny depp?

Gail Wynand: Kevin Spacey

Peter Keating: James Franco, Joaquin Phoenix would be perfect, Hayden Christensen (like in Shattered Glass), BIlly Crudup, Toby Mcguire, Ryan Gosling,

Guy Francon: Alan Rickman, Tom Hanks

Henry Cameron: Daniel Day Lewis, Ed Harris (like he was in Truman Show), Malcom Mc Dowell

Steven Mallory: Colin Farrell or Jude Law, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Heath Ledger would have been good, even as a young Roark, Joseph Fiennes, Paul Dano (silent brother in little miss sunshine), Jamie Bell

Austin Heller: Liev Schrieber

Catherine: Gwenyth Paltrow, Juliette Lewis, natalie Portman

I think that's all the major and some minor characters

As far as directors I think Kubrick could have done wonders with this, dera god please NOT David Fincher, Wes Anderson would make it really cool but wouldn't work really.

uhhh no way would I want Burton to ruin anything as great as the Fountainhead and turn it into some freakfest that all the emo kids flock to worship

Favorite Answer

Cool question. I love how much thought you've put into this... So many good suggestions! I vote Cillian Murphy for Roarke and James Franco for Peter.

The only person I really take issue with is Angelina Jolie. True, she is seen as a strong woman, but she's strong in the wrong way-- too one-note, almost vulgar. I also think she is too old for the role at this point. Dominique requires someone with the vibe of a younger Cate Blanchett, if you ask me. Who could pull it off, though? I'm stumped.

And for what it's worth, I always imagined Dominique looking more like Mischa Barton-- but heaven knows that girl can't act.

• Di

In my opinion, the original King Vidor 1949 black and white version with Gary Cooper, Raymond Massey and Patricia Neal cannot be bettered. Of course that was 60 years ago and there is a temptation to want to see more "modern" versions of classic films with more current stars. If it were remade, I would like to see Ralph Fiennes as Howard Roark.

• Todd

I'd like to see Tim Burton direct it.