Me asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

What is the proper way to address a wedding invitation for an unmarried couple with two children?

Also, for the same scenario with the male being a doctor? Also, for married couples with 1 child and married couples with more than one child. There is no Inner Envelope, the children are under 18.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

You address the outer envelope to everyone at the residence whom you are inviting.

Example: Unmarried couple and children living at the same house

Mr. John Doe and Dr. Jane Smith

Joseph, Michael, and Jill Smith

123 Any Street

Some City, USA

Example: Married couple with children

Mr. and Mrs. James Smith

Katherine, Frances, and Michelle

433 Some Street

Any City, USA

If the couple does not live together, do not address your outside envelope to people who do not reside at the address! The proper way to handle that kind of situation is to simply put everyone's name on your response card.

Example; Address for couple that does not live together (address the envelope to whomever lives at said address)

Miss. Janet Smith

58 Love Street Apt 6A

That City, USA

On the response card, fill in the names: Janet Smith and Jacob Gray

Single person with guest:

Mr. Marc Brown

21 5th St

What City, USA

response card: known guest

Marc Brown & Ann Green

response card unknown guest:

Marc Brown & ______________(leave blank for him to write in guest's name)

It is considered the worst possible etiquette to write "and family" or "and guest" on an outer envelope or on the only envelope for an invitation!!!

• 1 decade ago

From what I've gathered, if they are unmarried living at the same address, you should address the invitation with the sur names in alphabetical order. If they do not reside together you should still address it the same way but send it to the closest friends' address. If there are no inner envelopes then the child/children's names are listed underneath the adults. Same rule applies to the doctor's invitation.

Ms. Ellen Lowe

Dr. Steven Perez

123 Town Street

Hope this information is somewhat helpful. There are many different renditions of these rules available online.

Here's a great informational guide with money saving ideas, tips & tricks and even timelines to help plan a wedding.

http://tinyurl.com/ntcwed

• Joyce
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

One thing to remember is that the internet is full of people who just make stuff up. Some of what I've read about weddings makes my head spin. Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Family is fine for the parents and any kids under the age of 18. After that, they're supposed to get their own invites, even if they live at home. On the outer envelope for single people, it's best to cover this one on the rsvp card. (I assume you have one, along with a self addressed return envelope). You'd write in the person's name, and then put guest with a yes or no. And then total meals or something. There's lots of these online to get exact wording if you want. You'd also do this with "plus family". Even if they have 4 kids, it doesn't mean they'll bring them, or that all would come. You'll need a final guest count. This is how you get it. And Ms is fine.

• TB
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I'll assume you're inviting the children.

Mr. Don Jones and Ms. Sarah Smith

Mr. Jared Smith and Mr. Ethan Smith

123 Their Street

Hometown USA ZIP

Dr. Don Jones and Ms. Sarah Smith

Mr. Don Jones and Dr. Sarah Smith

Dr. Don Jones and Dr. Sarah Smith

For whatever reason, it's polite to put the man's name first. Almost as though he's protecting the little lady. Oh well, that's how it is. When you send a note to a married couple, you address it Mr. and Mrs. Don Jones, and you start the note with Dear Sarah and Don.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The person who is closest to you (ie your friend)

Mr. Joe Q. Public

Ms. Jane Doe

Titled person first

Dr. Elisa Dolittle

Mr. Joe Q. Public

Titled married couple

Dr. and Mr. Jane Q Public (or on 2 lines)

just add the children by name on the next lines.

• Nora
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Ms M. Jones, Mr M Smith and family

• 1 decade ago

To my friends with bastard children:

• 1 decade ago

"last name" Residence...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.