I'm lactose intolerant and need help.?

This has been bothering me recently, I am 18 and I still want to grow in height and stronger bones or whatnot. I haven't been drinking milk for the pass 3 years, it happened when I turned 15 I couldn't drink milk without having a upset stomach and weird growling sounds. So my question is.. What can I take as in pills/calcium or whatever to get the same amount of nutrients that milk/diary produces.

Serious answers only please.

Thanks

Oh and for some reason I can eat ice cream with no problem...

Favorite Answer

One of the most common but least understood and treated digestive problems is caused by one of the most common foods.The food is milk. Or, I almost hate to say it, ice cream.

The condition is known as lactose intolerance.

That is a fancy term for your body's problems in digesting dairy products.

Lactase is an enzyme found in the cells of the small intestine. Its job is to break down lactose, the major sugar found in milk. Lactose intolerance is a condition caused by a lack of lactase enzyme or a damaged digestive tract adversely affected by gluten, viruses, bacteria, medication, etc.

Symptoms of lactose intolerance are diarrhea, cramping, gas, and abdominal pain after consuming dairy products. This is caused by the lactose not being properly broken down so that it sits in the stomach and begins to ferment and cause bacteria build up.

Many times, the symptoms are written off as a "touch of the flu" or food poisoning or wrongly blamed on other foods.

But when patients keep a food diary and write down everything they eat, practioners and nutritionists can usually find the cause.

Lactose intolerance can easily be treated. The simplest way, of course, is to avoid consuming milk or products made from milk.

There are also some very good lactose free milks on the market. And there are lactase enzyme supplements that can be added to the diet to greatly reduce negative symptoms.

Working as a nutritional consultant, I have had numerous clients report improvement in their condition from the addition of lactase enzyme supplements.

One woman who started taking lactase recently came back in to thank me because she was able to eat whipped cream on her pumpkin pie this past Thanksgiving for the first time since she was a child.

When supplementing lactase, some choose to do it only when eating out or when eating at friends or relatives as a safety net, just in case there is some dairy products in their food. Others are able to take the enzyme and consume dairy products just like those who are not lactose intolerant.

If you do not wish to supplement the enzyme, people usually have to find substitutes like rice or soy milk, or products made from these milks like soy ice cream.

Don't turn your nose up. Soy milk and soy ice cream taste great.

When shopping for lactase enzymes or dairy free products, check first at your trusted online health store, or a reputable local health food store. -

Source(s): -

Lactose intolerance does not mean you can't consume any dairy, because a lot of dairy is actually low in lactose. It sounds like your lactose intolerance is actually pretty mild, so you can probably still eat cheese (in moderation) and yogurt.

You can also take Lactaid supplements or buy lactose-free cow's milk, which is a little sweeter than regular milk, but way better than the alternatives. (Lactaid is the most common brand, usually stocked near the soy, rice, and organic milks in the grocery store.)

I know the feeling, but you kindly left out the bit that comes after the growling....bathroom lol. Just go to the pharmacy have a chat to the pharmacist and tell him what happens when you have milk. There are heaps of calcium supps out there and he will advise how many milligrams you require each day. And yes there are also lactose free milks out there as well as soy etc..some like them but yuk i can't stand them. I get really brave some days and have one of my loves...yoghurt yum i also make sure i have 2 or 3 and it is so worth what i have to suffer later lol

I am! I've just been waiting for someone to ask. I haven't tried the supplement. I did find Lactaid ice cream and it was good, but I can't find it anywhere anymore.

Get lactose free milk. Yes, its real.