Would Your Car Be Hard To Turn If It Needs Power Steering Fluid?

At first my car was very easy to turn, but now it is becoming a little hard to turn the wheel. When this happens does it need power steering Fluid? If not what could be the problem?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The pump will make a high-pitched whine when it is very low on fluid. The noise gets louder when you turn the steering wheel and the steering can also be jerky and hard to turn.

• 1 decade ago

I would check the power steering fluid first. I had the same problem, our fluid was leaking, and it turned out it was because we needed to change out our whole power steering system! it will be expensive ($1500-2000) so hopefully its just that the fluid is low. Good luck!

Source(s): Experience
  • 1 decade ago

You could need to top off the fluid (I suggest checking that first). If the fluid isn't the problem check the belts next, if it isn't the belts either, you may need to replace the power steering pump.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The power steering belt could be loose or broken.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Another possibility is the air pressure in the tires - check the pressure when the tires are cold; radial tires sometimes look like they have enough air, when they don't

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes. Either that or your powersteering is failing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.