Would Your Car Be Hard To Turn If It Needs Power Steering Fluid?

At first my car was very easy to turn, but now it is becoming a little hard to turn the wheel. When this happens does it need power steering Fluid? If not what could be the problem?

Favorite Answer

The pump will make a high-pitched whine when it is very low on fluid. The noise gets louder when you turn the steering wheel and the steering can also be jerky and hard to turn.

I would check the power steering fluid first. I had the same problem, our fluid was leaking, and it turned out it was because we needed to change out our whole power steering system! it will be expensive ($1500-2000) so hopefully its just that the fluid is low. Good luck!

Source(s): Experience

You could need to top off the fluid (I suggest checking that first). If the fluid isn't the problem check the belts next, if it isn't the belts either, you may need to replace the power steering pump.

The power steering belt could be loose or broken.

Another possibility is the air pressure in the tires - check the pressure when the tires are cold; radial tires sometimes look like they have enough air, when they don't

Yes. Either that or your powersteering is failing.