Can I recieve child support if I am living with the father of my son?

I've been living with the father of my son for about 6 months, I don't use his last name or anything, but I'm trying to recieve child support because he rarely helps me buy anything for me son and it is getting expensive

7 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    You won't receive support because you are still living with him, it's assumed he's helping already. Since he doesn't help you should first have a serious, but calm, talk with him about the responsibilities of raising a child. Some ppl are really that clueless. If he's still not helping then it may a good option to try relationship counseling like mentioned above. But if he's just unwilling to help when he can and knows he should then you probably should just get rid of him. Do you really want to be with a man that won't take care of his son? Then you can set up child support, visitation, and whatever else you need to work out. Good luck, I hope things get better between you two and you're able to work things out.

  • H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    If you want child support, you move out, get an attorney and file for it. If you're with the guy and living with him, you can't get child support. Why would you want to be with a loser just because he's the father? Get out, get some help, contact legal aid/an attorney and file for custody and support.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    No you can't. My husband was in this situation. He lived with his ex girlfriend and their son and she couldn't get child support. Him living there whether he pays bills or not is seen as support. They assume he helps out with the bills.

  • 1 decade ago

    No, you cannot receive child support if you are living with the father of your child.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    I'm pretty sure you have to be divorced for that...

    But, sorry to say, if he continues to not help support you/your child probably will get a divorce eventually.

    I have a feeling that you have already tried talking to him. So my suggestion to you, if you want to keep this relationship, you should look in to other options like relationship counseling. That might help you two work out your differences a little better.

  • 1 decade ago

    Yes, absolutely you can

  • 1 decade ago

    if you're living with him, I don't think you'll be in luck, since you don't have to pay rent, utilities or much food

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.