Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Did I mess up in front of my class?

I'm doing a project on psychiatry. In order to depict the job description, I mentioned depression, suicide, self injury, etc. I had to get pictures, but when the class saw them, they freaked! I told them to calm down, that it was just a normal part of life, and they looked shocked...am I wrong? Why do people judge others before getting to know them?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Those are disturbing images and could be triggers for certain people. Just like you problably wouldn't show surgeons cutting into someone and removing a cancerous tumor, or an emergency medicine doc working on someone mangled in a car accident. However, if you're goal was to make a strong impression, it sounds like you were successful. At least they will probably remember psychiatry now.

Also, as mentioned, it isn't a "normal" part of life, those are the kinds of things studied in "abnormal" psychology.

• LA
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I think you worded it differently than you probably meant it. It isn't a 'normal part of life' to be deeply suicidal and suffer from self-injury (most people don't go through that kind of thing), but it's still unfortunately common.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.