Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Did I mess up in front of my class?

I'm doing a project on psychiatry. In order to depict the job description, I mentioned depression, suicide, self injury, etc. I had to get pictures, but when the class saw them, they freaked! I told them to calm down, that it was just a normal part of life, and they looked shocked...am I wrong? Why do people judge others before getting to know them?

Those are disturbing images and could be triggers for certain people. Just like you problably wouldn't show surgeons cutting into someone and removing a cancerous tumor, or an emergency medicine doc working on someone mangled in a car accident. However, if you're goal was to make a strong impression, it sounds like you were successful. At least they will probably remember psychiatry now.

Also, as mentioned, it isn't a "normal" part of life, those are the kinds of things studied in "abnormal" psychology.

• LA

I think you worded it differently than you probably meant it. It isn't a 'normal part of life' to be deeply suicidal and suffer from self-injury (most people don't go through that kind of thing), but it's still unfortunately common.