Why do Christians and other theists not value a science education?

So I've been asking a series of questions and then based on the responses I have received asked additional questions to get at the root of my disagreements with people who believe in God.

It seems to come down to education. I doubt that many of the people who answered pro-God pro-miracles have had any amount of rigorous science education, and yet they dismiss it out of hand.

Why?

If you truly had faith, as your religion demands then there should be no problem with learning about the natural world in the way that the methods of Science describe it.

By a 'science education' I don't mean a cliff notes version from your Sunday school teacher, who themselves probably have little science in their curriculum. I don't mean you've watched a documentary about penguins either. I mean you go to school, any accredited community college will do and you spend a couple of semesters learning about real science.

Take an intro bio-anthropology course to learn about human evolution.

Take an intro physics course to learn about the way the world works.

Take an intro astronomy course to learn how the earth and solar system, and even the universe formed and based on what evidence.

Take a geology coures.

Get good grades, try to actually learn something.

Why wouldn't you?

Don't you actually want to know what the truth is? What if what you believe wasn't true? Wouldn't you want to know that?

Favorite Answer

Copernicus, who proposed the heliocentric theory was a Catholic monk.

Lemaître, who proposed the Big Bang theory, was a Catholic priest.

Your question is loaded with ignorance. As a skeptic I can shoot holes in both sides, but have followed the Christian teaching for the past 2 years because it makes sense. Can a non believer like Penn Gillette say 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt there is no god and be wrong- YES, he has no proof. Can the Pope do the opposite YES he has no proof either, this is why it is called FAITH! You faith relies on you believing that someone will respond or you would not have posted, that you will live tomorrow or you would not have eaten your food today, you would not have worked or you would not have a check at the end of the week. These are all faith based just like do you love your mother and father or grandmother? Prove it? Show me how many grams it is? How long is it in meters? What is its molar mass? Don't question someone else's faith unless you believe in nothing, which you do. Realize that the bible stories are just that and scientists who extrapolate the big bang theory can not wrap their hands around the story of Genesis in 7 days. It is just a story, it is not literal, and no the earth is not only 6000 years old like some ignorant people profess the bible exclaims.

One more note, how is this for faith? Everything you have learned in life, lets take chemistry, I want you to tell me you have witnessed and seen a hydrogen atom having only 1 proton or do you take that information on faith that your book says so?

The more I learn in med school, the more I question how was this all put together to work so perfectly because there is so much to know and so little we still understand?

• Frank

I don't know which group of Christians you have been getting your information from but I, personally, do not know any Christians who do not value science education. Along with all other academic subjects Christian parents want the best for their children and we encourage them into courses suitable for their capabilities and interests. Christian parents do not discourage their children from doing science subjects.

I am sure that there will be individuals here and there who feel the way you describe and there might be a group of Christians somewhere that I have never heard of who shun science but I would say that this is rare.

Christians rely on scientific discoveries just as much as atheists do. We drive cars, have T.Vs. accept medication etc. The difference between us and atheists is that we believe that all that science has proved is from God. They have discovered what God had already put there. "There is nothing new under the sun" (Ecclesiastes 1:9)

FYI My friends' son has done marine biology, their daughter geology and my own son bio-chemistry and I'm not referring to just introductory courses. Many Christian friends are teachers, doctors and nurses.

Christians move in far more varied circles than you can possibly imagine and if you moved in a more varied circle you would perhaps not have such narrow views of how Christians function.

Batgirl, the spelling comment was unneccesary criticism because the word is incorrect only once (out of 4 times) and is, obviously, a typing error. We all make those regardless of how good our spelling skills.

First off, I can truly say that I am a completely open-minded and objective Christian. I am young, but value the importance of education as well as what you call facts. I may also say that my life has consisted of an ongoing struggle to identify 'truth". I can't say that I have done extensive research (by your standards) on evolution. However, I can say that I believe in it, just not to the extent that you do (micro vs macro).

"what if what you believe isn't true?" - nothing lost nothing gained. If there indeed is no God, then anything done here on earth is meaningless. All I can do is live my life to its fullest while keeping my faith in God, and the rest will be answered through death.

In regards to the "miracle" question. If a supernatural being created the earth and its inhabitants, a miracle performed by the Son of God is hardly out of the question.

please do respond with any comments or questions, I am not looking to make this into a war so try to keep a level of respect

Why do atheists and non-theists commit the logical fallacy of question-begging?

Why?

It seems to come down to a lack of education in classical polemics, logic, and metaphysics, of which the physical sciences are a substrate. I'll be sure to get a science education that's up to your prestigious standards.

The problem I have with your insinuations are the conclusions. You believe that the origin of the universe proves God doesn't exist - yet you are again committing the fallacy of question begging with this line of reason. The universe did not cause it's own existence, because nothing that begins to exist can cause it's own existence. This idea is by definition absurd.

Even famous atheists like Bertrand Russell declared that miracles are indeed possible.

Macro-evolution, by definition, is also not observable, and therefore not true science.

Physics will tell you what happens when light refracts off of a reflective surface, but not how to take a girl out on a romantic date. I posit that it doesn't teach you 'how the world works', but rather how objects move within a certain set of rules.

If guys like me can go to University, graduate and enter post-grad work in chemistry and still (miraculously???) hold to their Christian faith, maybe you should go to Bible School and learn something about what we hold to be true.

Why wouldn't you?

• Rollo

Do you know what the chemical valency of oxygen is?

Can you describe the RMS law which governs gravity and magnetism?

Could you tell the difference between a schist and a eutaxitic mineral?

I seriously doubt that you've sufficiently thought through your rant as there plenty of scientists are Christians whom I bet would put you to shame.

The very scientific method throws out accepted so called "fixed" scientific on roughly a 200 year cycle. Do you still accept Newtonian Physics despite them being proved wrong by quantum mechanics about 60 years ago? Yet that is what most high school students are taught.

Tekel Parsin matey - you've been tested and have been found lacking. Don't pontificate on something and thereby prove your own ignorentia.

I am a Christian, and I am a certified Civil Engineer. I have a huge background in science, and I like to do calculus and physics problems just for fun (Hail to Sir Isaac).

I also believe that religion and science go hand in hand. I think that they actually complement one another. I believe that when you put them both together, you can look at two different sides of the coin seeing the bigger picture. I also believe that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant word of God. In fact, everything to date which I have learned from science actually confirms everything I've learned from the Bible. The universe is wonderfully and marvelously put together.

I don't know why you think all religious people don't like science. I certainly don't fall into this category. I honestly believe that there are idiots on both sides of the worldview spectrum, but still I think you can't let a few individuals speak for everyone Even still, my push for science is all part of trying to understand the universe and ultimately find ultimate truth.

Im Catholic.

With that being said, I am also an elementary school teacher. I have taken many science courses at my university including an anthropology course. I am also engaged to a man who does not believe in God. He believes in science. So, I know all the facts, and I know all the science. And I still believe. I think it is moderately ignorant of you to assume that all Christians do not value an education in science. In the end, it comes down to faith. And I believe, as with the government, we should have a separation of church and school.

If ones faith is shaky, it can be challenged by rigorous scientific training. If, on the other hand, ones faith is strong, then the urge to understand more about the world in which we live is important.

This may or may not include an ability to understand science courses. In my own case, it went by way of philosophy, because my high school science background was insufficient to let me understand college science courses. I learned what I could by picking the brains of my more scientifically competent friends, and got by pretty well.

We now know, thanks to science, how to correctly interpret the verses in the Bible so they match up with facts.

For example, it was once thought that if someone acted crazy, this meant that they were possessed by demons. We Christians now know this is nonsense, most of the time.

I don't know why God chose to inspire men to put so many ambiguous metaphors in the Bible that appear to contradict known facts and not tell us which verses were literal, but luckily, he fixed that problem by giving us science so we can now find out which ones were never meant to be literally true.

Now, you may ask why it took God over 1,500 years since the Bible was written before the scientific method really caught on, but you have to remember that a day is just a thousand years to God. In reality, he only waited about a day and a half. That's about the same amount of time it would take a person to order a science book off of amazon.com.

Instead of complaining, be thankful for God's next day shipping.

They do. Get an education yourself, please.

George Washington Carver

Copernicus

Sir Francis Bacon

Rene Descarte

Jonas Kepler

Galileo

Sir Isaac Newton

Robert Boyle

Michael Faraday

Gergor Mendel

Buzz Aldrin (astronaut)