Wilton round cake pans faded when put in dishwasher... Anyone know why and how to get them back to normal?

I purchased 2 round Wilton cake pans. I washed them once in the dishwasher and when it was done, they both came out faded... They are no longer shiny and are extremely dull. I was under the impression they were dishwasher safe. Does anyone know why they did this? And if there is any way to get them back to their original condition? Thanks for your help!

• ND DVM
    Favorite Answer

This is usual, and shouldn't affect their baking ability. Dishwasher detergent is strongly alkaline and permanently discolors all aluminum ware.

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid...

• Judi

That always happens to cake pans in the dishwasher. If you have a KitchenAid mixer, the same thing will happen to the top of the whisk attachment if you put it in the dishwasher.

There's no way to fix them, but the appearance won't affect the function in any way.

When I bake cakes in a springform pan, I usually line the bottom with parchment and then butter and dust the parchment with flour. The extra layer of parchment might prevent leaking. So, if taking it back is not an option, try the above. It also prevents sticking, so its a good idea anyway.