jwilbanks2004 asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

swallowed a toothpick?

My husband had a toothpick in his mouth laughed and swallowed it. He seemed ok, but now about 2 hours later he felt it in his throat again. He's been coughing and then the feeling disappeared.

I want to take him to the hospital but he doesn't want to go. I need some opinions please.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    if the tooth pick had gone inside his stomach,then no problem.

    leave it.(based on your description,i think it went into stomach only)

    IF IN CASE THE TOOTH PICK WOULD HAVE GONE IN TO HIS RESPIRATORY TRACT,

    he would have got severe coughing immediately due to AIRWAY OBSTRUCTION.(since tooth pick is a foreign body)

    then THIS CONDITION IS A MEDICAL EMERGENCY AND TO BE TREATED AT ONCE.

    since he is well for the past two hours,i think the tooth pick would have got into stomach.

    until he is symptom free it is ok.

    if STILL he feels some pain,discomfort or respiratory difficulty means TAKE HIM TO HOSPITAL AND TAKE X-RAY,SCAN etc.

    hope he will be fine.good luck

  • 5 years ago

    Hello the same has happened to me any new news on your husband and did everything come out fine I am super paranoid since I think I swallowed one too

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.