One Fine Day In the Middle of The night- Poet name and name of poem?

I need the name of the poem and the writer for my drama class, please help! the poem goes:

1. One fine day in the middle of the night,

2. Two dead boys got up to fight,

3. Back to back they faced each other,

4. Drew their swords and shot each other,

5. One was blind and the other couldn't, see

6. So they chose a dummy for a referee.

7. A blind man went to see fair play,

8. A dumb man went to shout "hooray!"

9. A paralysed donkey passing by,

10. Kicked the blind man in the eye,

11. Knocked him through a nine inch wall,

12. Into a dry ditch and drowned them all,

13. A deaf policeman heard the noise,

14. And came to arrest the two dead boys,

15. If you don't believe this story’s true,

16. Ask the blind man he saw it too!

Favorite Answer

There is a parody of this by a Scottish poet, which may allow you to cover the same ground, but you can cite the author.

There is no known author of this poem, and the poem itself exists in many versions, some dating back to the early 14th century. As far as a title, it often goes by the first line, "One fine day in the middle of the night" and "two dead boys" poem. Although sometimes called a "nonsense poem", it is actually more of a "lying" poem or song. The paring of oxymoronic phrases is so widespread that nobody can really lay claim to any specific version of the poem. So, if you have to produce an Author's name...just say it was written by "Anonymous"...and it's called the "Two Dead Boys" poem.

Source(s): Editor, New Poets Press

I know that the original author's first name was Tom, but I forgot his last name. I will be searching for his last name. If you really want to find out, look in your local library and find the book with the poem in it. It should be in the book as to who the author is. That was how I found out a long time ago.

It's actualy called "One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night". But the rest of the information Kevin gave you was correct.

It's a poem of absoloute nonsense and inconsistancies, but I still like it.

Source(s): I think I helped you with this poem at one point