Is my boyfriend trying to control me?

My boyfriend and I have been dating since January, and officially for about 2 months. Unfortunately, I am now out of town for three months. (about 2 months left). When we started dating, he knew that I occasionally used drugs. I've done them all, but now I just smoke a little weed now and then. His criteria to become "official" was that I was to stop using drugs. I had the understanding that he was okay with a little pot now and then. Now, I am going to Europe, including Amsterdam on my friends birthday- a time and place I want to have a little fun ;) But now he's saying, "If i have a problem not doing drugs, I have a problem being with him"

I have no problem doing drugs ever again, but I want to in amsterdam!

Is he trying to control me, or am I being unreasonable? I don't want to break over this- but I feel dumb defending my right to do drugs. I'm soooo confused. What can I do to get my way?

This trip to Europe had been planned before we ever met and he knew about it before we became official. I am going with my best friend, and promised to tear it up in Amsterdam for his 21st-since he is in Europe already, its not that exciting to be of legal drinking age, so thats what we are doing. I have no problem never smoking again. So can't we both get our way?

Favorite Answer

He's not being controlling. He's giving you an ultimatum. He's not saying you aren't allowed, he saying he won't be with someone who does.

I guess you have to decide what means more to you. I think we all know you'll smoke dope in ND no matter what. So what are you going to tell your man.

He has said that he does not want to be with you if you continue to use drugs. That seems pretty clear to me. You have a choice to make here: it's the boyfriend or it's the drugs. And there's no rule that you have to get stoned while you're in Amsterdam. Getting high isn't the only way to have fun.