Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why do people of color in america insist on being African Americans ?

I have worked in Brazil, Guyana, Venezuela and the Dominican Republic. All of these countries have histories of slavery very similar to the United States. However, I never heard anyone in Brazil refer to themselves as African Brazilian, or anyone in Venezuela refer to African Venezuelans. Never did hear similar terms in Guyana or the Dominican Republic. All four of those countries have virtually colorless societies. They are just Brazilians, Venezuelans, etc. Could it be that in American if the African prefix was dropped and everyone could just be Americans maybe the racial gap would close? I am an American of African descent.

Favorite Answer

When I was a child, NegroOR Colored were the terms used, then it was "Afro-American, then black, now African-American... I came of age int eh 80's so "black" stuck with me.. When we left Mogadishu most of the Black soldiers in my unit did not want to be referred to as "African anything.. just black

I have a very caucasion friend from Zimbabawe who always checks the "African-American Box on gov forms and Job applications...

• Greg N

I think a small minority of blacks believe that calling them "black" and not "African American" is somehow disrespectful to them or something like that. I think some believe it's racist to call them black, which is stupid and speaks to their oversensitivity. On the very few occasions I have been "corrected" by a black person on what to call them, I'll argue with them. I can't help it. It's disrespectful for them to correct me for calling them "black." There are other terms they should correct, yes, but black? No.

To some of the other answerers who ask who cares? I care, and so do many others. What would happen if all whites wanted their race preceded with the region their ancestors are from? Any serious effort would be mocked by everyone else, including many blacks. So why do some blacks get away with it? Why are they given a pass? (Rhetorical question) Yes, I can call myself whatever I want. I can call myself rainbow colored. Does that mean anyone else will? NO! Nor should they!

Many of them do NOT. It actually was a term used by our government to put people in their tidy little boxes and separate us even more. While political correctness seemed like a warm fuzzy idea at its inception, the real agenda surely by now is starting to show. Most Americans, no matter what color, can see that.

I have met quite a few "Africans" that think many African-Americans are nuts. They say they don't know how good they have it and they are like spoiled brats. Many do not want to be associated with the African-American. I know African-Americans that don't want to be associated with them as well.

as a dominicana.... many of darker countries are ashamed of being black but I find it wierd how african americans call themselves that when they don't know in fact if they came from africa. What if they came from cuba or something lol...but most are fine with black race is just another thing that divides us.

I'm sure opinions vary among black folks. They come in all kids of ideological shades just like skin color.

We're all mutts in this country anyway. Some of the "pure bloods" might be surprised what lurks in their DNA.

Van Jones calls himself just African.

Someone ought to remind him he is American.

they just have to hang on to africa like its some great nation nation of poor,terrorize,leaders butchering there people raping women, kids, using kids as soldiers real nice place then racism big time there i could go on and on but they can just say i am an American but need the race card in it

Insisting being called African-American is not what is preventing this nation from being color-blind, bigotry is.

I find the term African-American belittling, I prefer just black.